Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Youmans

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on September 28, 2014, 10:49:38 AM
Went for the vapor and was blown away by the sunset colors. Like Messrs. Youmans said, "Might be a while before we have another day like today".
Love the warmth of the light and the texture of the moist concrete.  That was a beautiful glow we had last night!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Visible Vortices
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Anna M. Wood

It was a gorgeous sky last night at Sky Harbor even with all the chaos from the rain storms.

Anna M. Wood

Scott Youmans

Anna, Really love the mood of that shot. That sky is really powerful.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Matt Ottosen

Boeing 737-7H4
Southwest Airlines
The Herbert D. Kelleher

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Tower Guy

Great group of photos from Sky Harbor yesterday from everyone who posted here, congrats to one and all, proud to know you!

Joe Copalman

GROUNDED

Posted this earlier, but thought it had too much of a "fake-HDR" look to it, so I took it down.  Took a few more stabs and couldn't get it better than this.   Looks like I was at the airport a few hours too early yesterday, y'all got phenomenal shots.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Quote from: Matt Ottosen on September 28, 2014, 05:11:06 PM
Boeing 737-7H4
Southwest Airlines
The Herbert D. Kelleher
Matt, Like both of these shots with the wet concrete.  The patterns of the wet concrete squares create an interesting backdrop.  Reminds me of the aluminum planking used often in Vietnam.  Maybe it will rain again someday!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Scott Youmans on September 28, 2014, 03:11:21 PM
Anna, Really love the mood of that shot. That sky is really powerful.

Quote from: Matt Ottosen on September 28, 2014, 05:02:02 PM
Quote from: Anna Wood on September 28, 2014, 02:55:29 PM
American Airlines departing on a stormy night.

That is just awesome, Anna!

Thank you Scott and Matt....    ;D

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Anna Wood on September 28, 2014, 02:55:29 PM
American Airlines departing on a stormy night.

Anna - Great image. I photographed that exact same plane; apparently only moments before you. I like yours much better for several reasons. First, you allowed the 737 to rise slightly above the color chaos of the background lights being smeared by your slow shutter speed panning. This better allows for a contrasting of the dark sky background and the near white fuselage - the aircraft is more clearly seen. Second, the clouds at the top of the frame help identify the "weather" in the area of PHX. Third, you did not crop tight in camera (as I did). Allowing the extra space ahead of the climbing 737 helps to accentuate the motion of this departing aircraft. One of my all time favorite images from Sky Harbor. If Matt had not nominated this image for POTM, I would have. Well done young lady.

Quote from: Joe Copalman on September 28, 2014, 07:05:43 PM
GROUNDED

Posted this earlier, but thought it had too much of a "fake-HDR" look to it, so I took it down.  Took a few more stabs and couldn't get it better than this.   Looks like I was at the airport a few hours too early yesterday, y'all got phenomenal shots.

Joe - Your image makes it look as if you were shooting through a gauze curtain. Very cool effect; intended or not. I did not think HDR with either this version or the first. The muted colors of the 737 behind the veil of rain is contrasted by the "pop" of color from the strobes. Was this a slightly longer exposure?
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jeff D. Welker

All credit for this image goes to Matt. As they were towing this bird to the SWA maintenance hanger, the clouds broke for a moment and created this wonderful scene. It only lasted about 30-seconds. Matt pointed it out to me or I'd have missed it completely. Thank you my brother.

REFLECTING ON HERB
[/url]
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Tower Guy

Outstanding photograph Jeff, I'm glad Matt pointed it out to you. You just don't have the opportunity at PHX to get shots like this very often. You nailed it, great light and reflection.

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on September 29, 2014, 08:28:25 AM
All credit for this image goes to Matt. As they were towing this bird to the SWA maintenance hanger, the clouds broke for a moment and created this wonderful scene. It only lasted about 30-seconds. Matt pointed it out to me or I'd have missed it completely. Thank you my brother.

REFLECTING ON HERB
You're welcome, and while I may have pointed it out, you caught the moment perfectly!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ