News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: BillOz on December 09, 2012, 12:10:34 AM
Wow guys.  Those evening panning shots are quite nice.

Particularly tricky are the shots of jets in the air, as they are not simply moving horizontal, but all are pretty cool.

Takes the mundane out of the airliner shots.  
Actually worthy of looking at airliners when shot this way.

Thanks Bill. I've had little interest in shooting aluminum sewer pipes for nearly 3 years. I mean seriously, when I thought of shooting military platforms compared to commercial airliners, it was like comparing an opportunity to shoot a Victoria's Secret model versus the Dickies' Workwear catalog.

After my trip to LAX for Endeavor and getting a brief chance to shoot the great "heavies" that frequent those runways, I started to feel differently about things. That being said, PHX does not generally have the variety of aircraft that LAX does. Thoughts of shooting 737 after 320 after RJ were not the stuff of my dreams. Accordingly, my LAX enthusiasm began to fade. I was once again happy to forget about PHX and to resume pointing my lens at Willie and Falcon. Then that bastage Voyle's posted this http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=19.msg37144#msg37144, followed by a quick volley from Kaspar, Joe, Jay and Bo - I was doomed.

I finally got my mind right and saw the potential for making images at PHX that appealed to my aesthetics. That's when I got the idea to try some slow shutter speed panning tricks to help create images that caused the limitless numbers of Boeing and Airbus offerings to "pop". As I told Matt last night, I'm headed to the parking garages next to explore those opportunities. Sure, there is no pagoda and military surprises are less frequent than at Willie. Nevertheless, in-between the seemingly never ending line of SW Airline tubes, something different shows up like this http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=100.msg38267#msg38267. Another bright side is that FlightAware information seems more reliable at PHX than Willie.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jeff D. Welker

Three straight afternoons and evenings at KPHX has been instructive and exhausting - I need a rest. Messrs. Ottosen and Pasley were my guides tonight and we played with some long exposures. The images below constitute the last of my shots from tonight - much more to learn.

ALONG THE WATCHTOWER

My brain is fried and I have no idea what title to offer for this image  :P

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Had even more fun this evening with Welker and Pasley, this time from the top of T4.  This is three 30 sec. departure images layered in PSE.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Scott Youmans

Very cool guys.  I'll have to meet you over there some evening.  I'm just a few minutes away.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

BillOz

Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

cpasley

My battery died while out there last night but was so much fun watching and learning, I learned more last night from Matt and Jeff on timed exposure shots im ready for another night shoot :)

Matt Ottosen

Here's a couple more from last night.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Joe Copalman

RUSHING THE END ZONE

I haven't been able to get out to play lately, so here's one from last year.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

The horizontal lines in the foreground make a perfect graph of the vertical (angular mainly) movement of the lens.  Of course the IS is damping that to a large degree provided it was being used.  The IS might even be overshooting in some cases so who knows.  Still a good measure of the stability.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Glenn Bloore

To all of you guys shooting at Sky Harbor.  I dislike you all......... ;D ;D

Those shots that all of you have been putting up lately are spectacular.  If I had to single out a batch, Jeff, those panning shots are off the charts.  Simply Amazing!!!!!!

Glenn E. Bloore
http://leadingedgeimages.zenfolio.com/
http://leadingedgeimages.zenfolio.com/f46566290
All Images are © Glenn E. Bloore

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker