Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Youmans

T-34C landing (without flaps) at Sky Harbor 1/20/2012. Will be sorry to see these phased out.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

IAI 1125 - It's roots in the Aero Commander Jet Commander is obvious.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

bilwor

Boeing 737-924 N38403 United Airlines

Airbus A319-132 N826AW US Airways Arizona

bill word
Tucson, AZ

Joe Copalman

Great catches at PHX today, Scott.  Saw that 1125 over Willie headed to PHX.  And I agree with you on the T-34C.  Hoping some persevere in the civvie/warbird market, but it's my understanding we shouldn't get our hopes up. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Quote from: Joe Copalman on January 20, 2012, 08:42:59 PM
Great catches at PHX today, Scott.  Saw that 1125 over Willie headed to PHX.  And I agree with you on the T-34C.  Hoping some persevere in the civvie/warbird market, but it's my understanding we shouldn't get our hopes up. 
Thanks Joe!  I wonder if the Navy feels the airframes have too many hours on them.  Didn't they have some wing-spar issues at one point?
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Chris Kennedy

There was a discussion on the C's on WIX (Warbird Information Exchange) a while back. Someone on there said that the Navy has stated that the C will never be released to the civilian market and that they have told the FAA that if somebody buys one from another country and imports it, it cannot be registered.

The military quite a while ago stopped selling any aircraft that has any capability as a war plane to the public. The C has been used as a light attack aircraft in some countries.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

FelipeG

Nice. I have yet to see military traffic at PHX other than the KC-135s and the Willie-based T-38s.

And you can see on the Astra it's Aero Commander origins. But they are way more noticeable on the Westwind and IAI-1121 (starting with how low the fuselage was)

Scott Youmans

I lucked out with the Hornet and two T-34Cs.

I always liked the Jet Commander. Clean simple lines.  Haven't seen one in a long time.  Yes, very low to the ground, not well suited to rough field operations!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet
Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 101 (VMFAT-101) "Sharpshooters"

Two-ship departure from today.  Also, notice the C-17 parked on the remote, when I arrived today this was on the ANG ramp and then was taxied to the remote.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Scott Youmans

Matt  - Always cool to see Hornets flying out of Sky Harbor.  I saw one (heard two I think) leaving Thursday or Friday.  They definitely don't sound like Airbuses.
Here's one from many moons ago when they parked on the other side of the airport. Much easier to shoot!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

This was the first Mohawk in the "new" gray paint.  It was from Oregon and was having the SLAR installed by Motorolla.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

josephea6