Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Dumm

Is there a reson for that or would keeping them down go under the opps list?
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

redsox223

Just looking at the flight aware, http://flightaware.com/live/flight/MPH141, it looks like he is turning back to Gander (Although there is no official divert on the flightaware), I hope its nothing serious.

Dave S.

Looks like he's back on course Schipol.

Paul - I believe this plane was in storage at Pinal for an unknown period of time.  Normally they retract the gear right away, as there are speed limitations and performance hits when flying with the gear down.  Not sure what the reason would be for leaving down for so long.  He eventually got them up, and he's still trucking along to Amsterdam.

Okay, a quick Google search found these other potential reasons: an inoperative fire warning system in the gear well can require a minimum cooling time after take-off (something upwards of two minutes) and/or if one or two brakes have been removed (with a maximum of two) some minimum time to allow the tires to spin to a stop before retracting into a wheel well full of delicate hydraulic lines.  Either of these seems plausible for an aircraft that is coming out of storage.

- Dave
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Paul Dumm

"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

jslugman

Quoteit looks like he is turning back to Gander

My wife tells me there is very little to purchase in the Gander gift shop should you get diverted there as she did on one occasion with a mil-hop.  ;)
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: jslugman on May 08, 2010, 11:01:49 AM
Quoteit looks like he is turning back to Gander

My wife tells me there is very little to purchase in the Gander gift shop should you get diverted there as she did on one occasion with a mil-hop.  ;)

I've been to Gander twice on a fuel stop, there is nothing there!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

redsox223

Bizjet in trouble?

I caught this from the far side of terminal 4 while waiting for my parents. I heard a boom and then this trail of smoke lasted until the plane was far far out of sight. of course I didnt have my scanner so I cant confirm anything serious

Joe Copalman

I think that was Fry's Gulfstream II.  I watched it depart from 40th street.  Very smokey, but I don't recall a boom.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

US Airways
Airbus A319-132

• Arizona
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • America West 1980s Heritage
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Matt Ottosen

East Economy Garage B, Looks like they removed the stairwell for the light-rail construction.

WATCH
YOUR STEP
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

CJPalmer

Jay Beckman

I bet they still charge your estate $10 a day!    :'(
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jbong

KPHX tour