15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Coolidge Municipal Airport (P08)

Started by Joe Copalman, June 15, 2009, 08:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Seems odd to see someone all "bundled up"

This time of year, that would be a "Fry Baby"
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

JWAir

Quote from: Jay Beckman on July 07, 2012, 11:08:15 PM
Seems odd to see someone all "bundled up"

This time of year, that would be a "Fry Baby"

Hmm....does seem kinda strange to be all bundled up. But then I looked at the angle of shadows....since the P08 runway is essentially NE/SW.....I am going out on a limb here, but I will guess it was shot somewhere between early November and the middle of February. This is also based upon the fact that the morning prevailing winds are out of the east to northeast 75% of the time. The shadows in this shot are very long, and the sun angle is quite low. This means the sun was almost straight off the aircraft's right wing (or maybe a few degrees forward of the right wing when you look at the shadows of the main gear legs). How close am I Joe? My best guess is 2nd week of November or last week of January, around 0830-0900...

Joe Copalman

In the ballpark.  January 7th, 9:26am. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

JWAir

Quote from: Joe Copalman on July 08, 2012, 12:02:35 AM
In the ballpark.  January 7th, 9:26am. 

Well....close but no cigar I guess. How do you know the exact time you took the shot? I always write down everything I shoot in a small notebook but I never wrote down the times...do you? I never saw you doing that at Gateway...

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Joe, Only 3,895 posts?  Better get with the program! ;)
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Scott Youmans on August 04, 2012, 08:33:30 PM
Joe, Only 3,895 posts?  Better get with the program! ;)

Wow, purging the heads-up thread really chopped that number down. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

^^^^ I've got to tell you Joe, this is one of my all time favorite images from Coolidge. I've been looking at this photo off-and-on all day and think it is wonderful. Great panning, nice prop blur, tack sharp, and super morning light. Only question is the power line looking objects behind the rudder and above the rear fuselage; could they be cloned out? A simple image that really appeals to me. If I read the data correctly, this is a 1953 vintage 180 that is very clean and tidy - even without the doors  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Those straight tailed Cessnas look like real airplanes!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Jeff, thanks for the awesome comments.

Regarding the power lines, I considered cloning them out, but to be honest, doing so - especially around the whip antenna on the spine - requires a degree of surgical precision that I just haven't been capable of on account of how much work my little guy has been lately.  Looking at the cluster of the wires after of the tail, I think that would be relatively easy, and wouldn't interfere too much with the natural gradient of the sky.  The area above the spine would be a bit more work, but I think I can do it.  I already need to go back and re-clone another area I screwed up on the ground.  I'll post the results when I'm done with that, thanks for the push.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ