News:

In Memory of David Loera
1974 - 2024

Main Menu

Magazines

Started by Matt Ottosen, August 19, 2009, 05:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Hyatt

That is awesome news, Joe! Congratulations to you, Jeff, and Mr. Wetzel on your published work! I can't place it right now, but to steal a famous quote I heard somewhere not too long ago, that shot is "Wewy, wewy seggsy."
All images are © Jason Hyatt and may not be used without consent

"When one engine fails on a twin engine aircraft, you always have enough power to get you to the crash site." - Unknown

Joe Copalman

Thanks guys!  Was initially a little frustrated, as all my subsequent shots - like the ones Scott has posted - have the paint scrape on the Harrier's nose cloned over so it looks all nice and presentable, so putting this on the cover creates a bit of a consistency problem for me when my article runs.  Well, not so much me as AFM.  It was also not a very large shot that I submitted (1200x1800), so I could have gotten a much higher-res file to them for the cover.  I guess they wanted to surprise me.  I've been reading AFM for 17 years, so splotchy Harrier nose or not, it was still a good surprise.

Quote from: Jason Hyatt on November 05, 2013, 03:00:17 PM
to steal a famous quote I heard somewhere not too long ago, that shot is "Wewy, wewy seggsy."

I believe it was Heidi Klum who said that.  She was talking about wanjaway. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Well, looks like I got a couple of "Honorable Munchkins" in the 2013 Aviation Week Photo Contest.  I'm headed to the coffee shop with $1.50 and my winnings to celebrate with a dark roast.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on December 22, 2013, 03:46:33 PM
Well, looks like I got a couple of "Honorable Munchkins" in the 2013 Aviation Week Photo Contest.  I'm headed to the coffee shop with $1.50 and my winnings to celebrate with a dark roast.

Congrats on the honorable mentions young man - definitely kudos are in order. While you're drinking a victory cup of java, just remember the judges were abused as children and operate in a "non-artisitic" environment  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Joe Copalman on November 05, 2013, 12:21:00 PM
If it seems like I've been much less active on the forum than I've been in the past, the reason is that I've been working on a very large article for AFM for an upcoming "Superbase" issue, and have been sandbagging my shots from the past few months until they are published.  I initially sent this shot to my editor at AFM the evening after this flight as a teaser, and they wound up deciding to put it on the cover.  Combat Aircraft ran a shot from this flight on their cover this month as well.  That shot was taken by one of the Public Affairs Marines who was last-minute addition to the flight.  Combat Aircraft had nothing to do with this shoot, and I think that drove AFM's decision to run my shot on the cover even though it had nothing to do with any of this issue's content.

The Superbase issue should be out in December (probably more like January in the US), with plenty more shots supporting a 26-page, 15,000-word article.  AzAP member Gary Wetzel has two articles in that issue as well.

CONGRATULATIONS JOE COPALMAN - The "Superbase" issue of AFM has hit the local news stands. Joe has done himself proud as a photographer and a writer. I hope all in the AzAP family take pride in one of our own doing so well. Nicely done young man  ;D

I recommend you pick-up an issue - a terrific publication and a very good read.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Oh, awesome.  Is this at B&N now?
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Joe Copalman on January 17, 2014, 10:26:20 AM
Oh, awesome.  Is this at B&N now?

Yes sir. They had a generous supply yesterday afternoon.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Congrats Joe, well deserved!

Matt Ottosen

Nice work, Joe!  I'm looking forward to picking myself up a copy.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

I am very proud to inform my AzAP associates that my photography has been featured in the latest issue of f11 Magazine. I am only the second aviation oriented photographer to be featured - photography icon Paul Bowen being the first. To say that puts me in some very elite company would be a massive understatement. I am more than humbled. I'd truly appreciate it if you'd take a few minutes to read the article and give me your thoughts and impressions.

www.f11magazine.com

I've been a subscriber to f11 Magazine for a couple of years and believe it is one of the finest photography magazines available - an obvious biased statement. It is both a humbling and satisfying experience to have some of my work selected for their magazine. I encourage you to sign up for a free subscription and enjoy this excellent publication (shameless plug).

I would be remiss if I did not thank all of my AzAP brothers and sisters for helping to inspire my photography and for your encouragement - who would have 'thunk it'.

For those wondering, the editor of f11 told me he found my work on Flickr. Talk about a needle in a very large haystack  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

Congratulations to Joe and Jeff for their photojournalistic achievements.  Your  photographic skills and visual compositions are continually spectacular.  Well done both of you. 

Anna M. Wood

Wonderful article Jeff....  Congratulations!!!

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: wingsnstuff on February 27, 2014, 12:35:09 PM
Congratulations to Joe and Jeff for their photojournalistic achievements.  Your  photographic skills and visual compositions are continually spectacular.  Well done both of you. 

Quote from: RenderBay on February 27, 2014, 12:57:28 PM
Wonderful article Jeff....  Congratulations!!!

Vance & Anna - thanks so much for your gracious encouragement.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Great news Jeff, I knew I was shooting with "Photo Royalty" all this time. A very big congrats, looking forward to seeing this edition

Chris Janes

I must bow in the presence of greatness!! Very nice write up Jeff.