News:

In Memory of David Loera
1974 - 2024

Main Menu

Magazines

Started by Matt Ottosen, August 19, 2009, 05:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingsnstuff

I was recently asked by JP4 Magazine in Florence, Italy if they could use three of my Southwest photographs (Special Liveries) in an upcoming issue on Southwest Airlines.  Roberto Gentilli, the editor for Jp4 Magazine said he would send me a PDF when the magazine hits the shelf.  The Warthog Blogger also asked to post several of my A-10 photographs from the Heritage Flight Conference in the Berlin, Germany Warthog News.  Here's the link to those posts:

http://warthognews.blogspot.com/2010/03/10-drawing-by-vance-v-lessard.html

Jbong

Congrats Bud thats awsome. What Southwest Pictures are they using?

Jbong

I think it would be so cool to get one of my pics published anywhere I dont care. I think I will make it my goal. Now i just need to take better pics/

wingsnstuff

Others have taken much better photos of these planes.  I was just fortunate that this set caught someone's eye and interest.  The goal of taking not only better, but more interesting photos, is a good one.  I've seen some of your stuff and you've taken some very nice photos, but like me (especially me), you can alway improve.  The guys in this group are an inspiration to me and I appreciate the tips and feedback.  They've helped my shooting  a lot, but I've got a long way to go before getting to the level of many of the group's members.  

phantomphan1974

Quote from: Jbong on May 11, 2010, 11:48:53 PM
I think it would be so cool to get one of my pics published anywhere I dont care. I think I will make it my goal. Now i just need to take better pics/
Just remember if its special or unique, edit it as soon as you can and submit to the appropriate publication or if you can do a story that has not been done.  I did one for the F-4A at French Valley (Wings and Rotors Museum) for FlyPast Dec 2009.  Although I have not been paid yet.....
Link to scan of article:
http://www.apsocal.com/index.php/topic,1458.0.html
Damon Duran
Co: Founder: Aviation Photographers of Southern California www.ApSoCal.com
Orange County Sheriff PSR-Air Support Unit Photographer

Jbong

How do you know what the Appropriate publications are?

Joe Copalman

Just be familiar with what publications are out there, who their audiences are, and what their content is.  If you get a great shot of a P-51 making its first flight, FlyPast or AirClassics or Warbird Digest would be better to contact than Air Forces Monthly or Combat Aircraft, for example. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

phantomphan1974

Also they say they will pay you but sometimes they don't.  Flypast said they were processing the check and it never showed.   InFlight USA said that they paid less due to the economy and had two artcles in that, one with pictures.  I contacted editor and no response.  Prior to that they would always answer questions reguarding the article.  I was going to offer a compromise (ad space for APSOCAL or me) but never got a reply to offer it.   But hey your still published and that adds to your portfolio.
Damon Duran
Co: Founder: Aviation Photographers of Southern California www.ApSoCal.com
Orange County Sheriff PSR-Air Support Unit Photographer

Jbong

Do they contact you if there is a good picture or do you send it in?

wingsnstuff

I receied the DRAFT .pdf from JP4 Magazine.  They used three of my images.  The Final edition goes to print at the end of the month.  They're sending me a copy of the Magazine in hardcopy. 

jslugman

Published in June 2010 Combat Aircraft Monthly, is purported to be the testbed for the QF-16 program.

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Bubak

wingsnstuff

My copy of jp4 mensile di Aeronautica e Spazio (May edition) arrived today.  It's all in Italian, so I can't read anything but my name, but I thought it was very cool to see my photographs in a magazine.  Wow!  They used four of my photos with three of them taking an entire page (page 82).  I also received a request from Military Aviation Monthly (yesterday) to use two of my photographs in an article that will appear in the August 2010 edition of that magazine.

Dave S.

Vance,

Congrats!  Now all you need to do is learn some Italian!

Dave S.
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

wingsnstuff