For the next trip to El Centro?

Started by cpasley, March 20, 2012, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Brian Lockett

The listing is already deleted.  What was it?

cpasley

Quote from: Brian Lockett on March 21, 2012, 07:38:22 AM
It was a helmet that the crew on the deck of a carrier would have worn, complete with hearing protection

scottcolbath

Quote from: Chris Pasley on March 21, 2012, 08:19:14 AM
Quote from: Brian Lockett on March 21, 2012, 07:38:22 AM
It was a helmet that the crew on the deck of a carrier would have worn, complete with hearing protection

Some guy was wearing that which was likely the same sort of thing last time we were out at El Centro. I found it a little odd.

S.C.

Joe Copalman

He was.  Those helmets are part of a military work uniform, and unless he's actively serving, he's violating the regs.

-STATUTE-
     Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of
   the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may
   wear -
       (1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the
     Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; or
       (2) a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive
     part of the uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine
     Corps.

From Title 10, Subtitle A, Part II, Chapter 45, Section 771 of the US Code: http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C45.txt.

Like I said, don't be that guy.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Thinking about it a little more.  This regulation seems like it would cover the wear of the Army ACU digicam boonie hat I picked up at the Luke show in 2009.  Maybe Navy shell-helmet guy and I can share a cell at Leavenworth.   ;D

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

FelipeG

The funny thing is that a lot of stores here seem to have no problem selling any kind of camo to civilians. I don't even know if that's actively enforced or it's like an aggravating thing if they catch you impersonating someone from the military.

BillOz

Quote from: Joe Copalman on March 21, 2012, 10:29:02 AM
Maybe Navy shell-helmet guy and I can share a cell at Leavenworth.   ;D

I think he might like that :o

But seriously I don't think that helmut or your beanie would qualfy as a distinctive part of the uniform.  Otherwise guys can't be out wearing the combat boots, and other partial uniforms so many are wearing.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Joe Copalman

You guys are both right, this is not enforced - if it were, I wouldn't have been able to buy my boonie hat, as a civilian and from a civilian vendor, on an active military installation.  I just remember my drill sergeants and TAC NCOs hammering the points about proper, improper, and inappropriate wear of the uniform.  I still cringe when I see fat guys with beards in current-issue Army PT shirts out and about. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

FelipeG

Quote from: Joe Copalman on March 21, 2012, 01:03:58 PM
I still cringe when I see fat guys with beards in current-issue Army PT shirts out and about. 

Better than the long haired, bearded guy discussing how to govt is after him while wearing a full woodland uniform.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Joe Copalman on March 21, 2012, 01:03:58 PM
I still cringe when I see fat guys with beards in current-issue Army PT shirts out and about. 

I promise I will never do that. Now, leg warmers with a thong........that's another story. ;D

S.C.

Scott Youmans

I wonder if all the civilian pilots wearing flight suits are in violation.  Maybe a flight suit isn't considered a uniform.  In any case I won't be wearing one to El Centro.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved