News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

AzAP Photo Challenge #21: Fifty-Mike-Mike (February 3rd to March 4th)

Started by Joe Copalman, February 03, 2012, 09:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzAP Photo Challenge #21: 50mm

Matt Ottosen - Bell UH-1
2 (11.8%)
Eric Rosen - F/A-18 Super Hornet
10 (58.8%)
Joe Copalman - Piper PA-22 Pacer
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: March 14, 2012, 03:03:54 PM

Joe Copalman

The rules for this photo challenge are;

1.  This month's theme is "50mm."  All shots submitted MUST be shot at a full-frame focal length of approximately 50mm.  Approximate equivalent focal lengths are as follows:

APS-C (1.5 Nikon or 1.6 Canon Crop) = 30mm

APS-H (1.3 Canon Crop) = 40mm

Full Frame = 50mm

All shots must be posted with focal length (e.g. "30mm on a 1.6 crop") to be eligible.

2.  The photo must be taken during the challenge period.  The goal of the photo challenge is to get out and try something new, not to got through old pictures to find something that matches the theme.  Any photos posted that are taken outside of the challenge period will be deleted from the thread.

3.  One photo per member (you can change your photo as many times as you like until the deadline).

4.  Photos should be uploaded directly to the "Photo Challenge" thread for the current contest (this thread).

5.  All photos must be submitted to the Photo Challenge thread no later than 11:59pm Arizona (GMT-07) time on Sunday, March 4th.  Voting will begin on March 5th and close March 12th.  Any photos posted after the deadline will be deleted from the thread and not eligible for consideration.  You can only vote for one photo and it cannot be your own.

6.  The winning photographer will select the theme for the next assignment.  Keep in mind that assignments that are aircraft- or airport-specific may limit the ability of other members to participate.

7.  Be safe and have fun!
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Bell UH-1H Iroquois

Nikon APS-C (30mm on a 1.5 crop)
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Paul Dumm

So if you have something that is at 27mm for a nikon is that ok, or does it have to be 30mm on the money?
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Joe Copalman

Let's give it a +/- 5mm variance on all sensors.  Paul, if your Nikon is in APS-C format, 27mm would work.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

cpasley

yeah I have no idea what this is about, can someone enlighten me

Joe Copalman

50mm on a full-frame sensor (35mm film equivalent) is generally accepted to be the "focal length" of the human eye, so photos taken at that focal length or its equivalent on non-full frame sensors should kinda-sorta come close to what you see with the naked eye.  Because different types of cameras have different-sized sensors, the actual focal length required to replicate the field-of-view at 50mm on a full-frame sensor varies, so a 30mm shot on an APS-C camera will have approximately the same field-of-view as one taken at 50mm on a full-frame body.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

30mm on a Canon APS-C 1.6x sensor.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Rob Silliman

Voting is now open for Challenge #21 - 50mm.  One vote per person, and you cannot vote for your own picture.  Voting will close Wednesday afternoon, March 14th.

Rob Silliman

Just about 24 hours left to vote in the 50mm challenge.

- Rob