Barry M. Goldwater Range Visit 02-Feb-2012

Started by Scott Youmans, February 02, 2012, 04:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpasley

Quote from: Jay Beckman on February 03, 2012, 01:19:35 AM
OpFor retreating along the "Service Road of Death"

Now see these are the shots I forget to take. I think another good title could have. "nana-nana boo-boo" cause the really good stuff came next ;) Great shot Jay, really gives another memory to a fantastic day!

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Barry Griffiths

Looks like AzAP had a wonderful day at Goldwater Range - some superb shots here! Congrats! Ned and I had a tough time choosing between Nellis Red Flag and Goldwater Range - now we know why.
Barry Griffiths
Tucson, Arizona & Waterloo, Ontario

azbill

Fantastic shot of the F-16 Jay!
That's an angle that doesn't present itself very often.
Bill

Jay Beckman

Quote from: azbill on February 03, 2012, 04:02:01 PM
Fantastic shot of the F-16 Jay!
That's an angle that doesn't present itself very often.
Bill

Very True Bill...  Thanks!

Another view of the Anonymous Hog #663
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Scott Youmans

This shot was a lesson in many respects.  Taken at almost the same time as Jay's fabulous and much sharper shot posted earlier in color and monochrome.  Although it looks ok here at this size here's what went wrong.  I was shooting with two bodies (camera bodies that is, and not simultaneously of course) and here comes this A-10 turning right into us.  I aimed my 7D and 70-200mm f/2.8, waited for it to focus, hit the button and got one click then nothing.  Hmmm. So I try again and click, one shot.  So as the A-10 whizzes by I'm looking the camera saying myself, "what the....".  Turns out I had accidentally moved the Mode Dial from Aperture Priority to one of the "user friendly" modes.  Two things resulted.  Loss of RAW capture, jpeg only, and one shot drive mode instead of the respectable high speed mode of the 7D.  The resulting shock in turn led to complete discombobulation and a rapid attitude shift to the left.

I suspect that more than one of us has experienced this in the past with this series of mid-range cameras and the 5D.  I know I have.  Another lesson learned again.  Why Canon doesn't build in some type of lock is beyond me.  Many a reviewer has mentioned this.  A push button in the middle of the dial would still allow one handed operation.  Although slightly less direct, the method used on the EOS-1D Series pretty much prevents this from happening.  Ultimately it's my responsibility too keep checking it but it shouldn't be necessary.  At least I got one reasonably full-frame shot. This version is cropped.

If you see me with gaffers tape over the knob you'll know why.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Scott Youmans

Say Hallelujah!  The only problem is I was going to use that as an excuse to buy another EOS-1D series body!  Nevertheless, that's a great development!  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll definitely have that done to my 5D II and 7D.  I owe you one!  Maybe two including Mike's lens.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

The full version. Glad I got at least one frame!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

azbill

Jay Beckman

Very Nice!

I think I got skunked on rounds in the frame this time.   :'(
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Scott Youmans

Quote from: Jay Beckman on February 03, 2012, 06:24:19 PM
Very Nice!

I think I got skunked on rounds in the frame this time.   :'(
Thanks guys! I was using a pretty fast shutter speed by virtue of my newly acquired fast lens (heavy too, it has its own gravitational field which apparently acts downward).  Bullets were strictly by chance.

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved