North American OV-10 Bronco

Started by Scott Youmans, November 24, 2011, 01:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Another nice Bronco shot Joe! Post processing is a good balance between subtlety and punchiness. Not sure if punchiness is a word but you know what I mean.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Scott Youmans on February 14, 2014, 11:35:12 PM
Another nice Bronco shot Joe! Post processing is a good balance between subtlety and punchiness. Not sure if punchiness is a word but you know what I mean.

Thanks Scott.  A bit of creative post-processing on this one.  Applied a purple-to-orange gradient layer to the background and blended at about 10% - really just to reinforce colors that were already there.  Didn't really do much to the aircraft aside from a few selective shadow/highlights edits. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

OV-10G - Coolidge, AZ  Edited with the help of some apps on my iPad.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Ha!  Looks like one of the shots you'd see in the black-and-white section of a Koku-Fan book.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

That's funny. They must be using the same cheap apps!  Is Koku-Fan still around? They had great color shots when I used to see them years ago.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

OV-10A Bronco BuNo 155427 serving with VMO-4 out of Atlanta, GA, now Calfire 460 (N415DF) based at Hollister. Photo taken at North Island in 1980.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

PAINTED PONY

Always good to see OV-10s on display, but the markings on this recently-repainted example hidden in a remote corner of DM's petting zoo are pretty far off the mark. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Almost looks like a mock-up.  That particular OV-10 has been there a long time.  There was one damaged in a storm at DM way back when.  I wonder if that's it.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

VMO-2 OV-10Ds lined up on the flight line at Camp Pendleton August 11, 1980.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

^^^^ An amazing photograph Scott.  A slice of military aviation history preserved and I love the echelon of twin tail booms in your composition.  Wonderful work sir.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Thank you Jeff. At the time that photo was taken I wasn't really going for anything artistic but was simply amazed at seeing so many relatively pristine OV-10s in one place. There were more to the left out of the frame. The "D" models were just coming online and were almost "new" having gone through the mod from A to D and a major Servive Life Extension Program (SLEP). Having spent a good portion of my childhood obsessing over the OV-10, going to Camp Pendleton and mingling with VMO-2's OV-10 was an absolute thrill.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

OV-10D 155494 VMO-2 Camp Pendleton, CA September 1992. Scanned from Kodachrome transparency.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

OV-10G 155481 at Marsh. Later became one of two Combat Dragon aircraft.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved