News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

AH-64 Apache

Started by Joe Copalman, July 21, 2009, 12:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

BLADES OF GLORY - A couple of Boeing Apaches doing a quick gas-n-burger-n-go at Willie/KIWA yesterday afternoon.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chetan

I could not help but notice the difference in the engine exhaust system between the two Apaches. Could some one explain what the role of the deflectors are. Are they incorporated so that the exhaust mixes with the rotor downwash so that it is cooler, resulting in a relatively lower IR signature?

Jay Beckman

Yup, IR Suppression...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

For what it's worth, this is the first time I've seen this mod as well.  The flight crew in both birds were civilians from Boeing, so my hunch is that they're testing a new bolt-on IR-suppression kit.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

I'm not sure it is that easy to see; however, the heat/IR signature below the tail boom in the first Apache appears to be more evident that in the second bird with the different exhaust system. I apologize for the different angles but the first Apache dusted off the second and I had to wait for it to clear the dirt cloud.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

Quote from: Chetan on May 10, 2011, 12:19:45 PM
I could not help but notice the difference in the engine exhaust system between the two Apaches. Could some one explain what the role of the deflectors are. Are they incorporated so that the exhaust mixes with the rotor downwash so that it is cooler, resulting in a relatively lower IR signature?

There might be some mixing but I'd hazard a guess that it's to shield the exhaust from the lower-rear aspect and some ner-do-well with a MANPAD
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Jeff D. Welker

WHAT U LOOKIN AT? - I've been on an Apache jag lately - they're just too cool.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Chris Kennedy

Very nice!

Good thing he doesn't have the gun slaved to his helmet.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Chetan

Quote from: Jeff Welker on May 10, 2011, 04:45:07 PM
I'm not sure it is that easy to see; however, the heat/IR signature below the tail boom in the first Apache appears to be more evident that in the second bird with the different exhaust system. I apologize for the different angles but the first Apache dusted off the second and I had to wait for it to clear the dirt cloud.

Nice pictures Jeff. They seem to answer the question of the role played by the upturned exhaust deflectors. The rotor downwash seems to disperse the hot exhaust gases more thoroughly and onto a wider area, thereby reducing the possibility of a lock-on by any MANPAD's (as mentioned by James). This would be a good mod especially for the Apache's with uprated engines (hotter exhaust), if any. Thanks

jslugman

I wonder what (if any) effect it has blowing the exhaust air up into the rotors flight-wise.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Jay Beckman

My gut tells me that while it may not hurt, it can't help.

The exhaust gases are thinner (in terms of air density) which has to impact lift to some degree.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

Less talk, more rock:

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Chris V

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ