2011 Tucson Aerobatic Shootout Oct 8-9 BAM's (Big Assed Models)

Started by Chuck Mitchell, September 29, 2011, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Mitchell

http://timpa.org/

I went to this in 2009 and had a really good time.  This is an international event and the photo shows the
Aussies competing. Each competitor flies to music they have selected. They 'hover' the aircraft like a helicopter, and do other maneuvers that are really unusual, like continuous rolls while doing a split S. It is really spectacular flying and I feel worth the trip. Sunday the 9th will be the best day of the competition, they will let it all hang out. I remember seeing 2 competitors tie the low altitude record.

The big boys start flying at about 0900 and you will be out before noon. 100-400mm should be about right.
It is about 20 minutes west of Interstate 10 from Ina, and about 30 minutes west if Speedway. Beautiful drive through Gates Pass if you go Speedway. (see location and views on the website)

Chuck

BillOz

Oh these kind of BA models.  ;D    That's how to phrase the thread title to get views.

I might see if I can make it out for this.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Chuck Mitchell

Bill,

The flight demos last about 4 minutes each. This photo shows an aircraft standing on the prop, 'hovering'. Note
the full left rudder to counteract the torque. The high power setting provides enough wind to make the rudder effective. The sound of the music through the loud speakers is adequate for video as well.

Hope to see you there,

Chuck

Chuck Mitchell

For those of you that missed the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout
this year, here are a few photos taken on Sunday the 9th.

There was a lot of low flying and one competitor tied the low
altitude flying record.

Chuck Mitchell

Flying the "BAM's" started at 1000 and lasted till 3pm.
TIme went fast without many interruptions.

Chuck Mitchell

Time was halted for awhile when one competitor tied
the low altitude flying record.

Chuck Mitchell

An embarrassed Aussie pilot had to
retrieve his bruised plane.