News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

Messerschmitt Me-262

Started by Dave S., September 01, 2011, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave S.

Here are some shots of the Me-262 that is up at Paine Field.  These guys have built about four of these things.  They have done an excellent job, everything is being built as authentically as possible; save for the engines and some modern radio/navigation equipment.  Just like the originals, these are built using the metric system (mm, cm...) and only using the English system (inches, feet, lbs...) when necessary, such as where equipment must interface with the modern American jet engines.

I'm really impressed with the cleanliness of the engine installation.  There are no jumbles of hoses, cables and wires, just a super clean and sharp engine.

The units on the instrument panel are English (FPM, PPH...), but the gauges read mostly in German.

I really dig the simplicity of the slat system.  They are gravity/airload operated and essentially function as automatic units.  This is where the slat system used on the F-86 was 'borrowed' from.

Kaspar, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this basically says, "Don't push here."

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Dave S.

Here she is, heading out to a test flight, and making some pretty awesome (to borrow the phrase) 'jelly air'.

Believe it or not, this was a pretty warm day up at Everett, with a fair amount of heat haze near the ground.  Anyway, here's a shot of her takeoff roll.  She makes just the prettiest sound as those two small turbines push her down the runway.

www.roxphotography.com

Jeff D. Welker

Dave - those images are wonderful. The Me-262 is very cool.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Dave S.

Jeff, Thanks.  Like I previously wrote, this stop at Paine Field was pretty much like winning the lottery.  I was also fortunate enough to see a CONA painted P-3 (but those shots were totally backlit) and one of the RAAF Wedgetails (a 737 based AEW&C aircraft) performed a touch and go (but I was busy on the B-17 and only saw it right after it had lifted off back into the air).  Yep, to me, KPAE = lottery jackpot.

- Dave

www.roxphotography.com

Bubak

wingsnstuff

Dave, the photos and write-up are excellent.  I really like the artwork on you watermark.  Did you do it?  Very nice.

Chris Kennedy

According to Google Translate:

nicht am bugrad schleppen = not drag on the nosewheel

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Barry Griffiths

Thanks for a fascinating series, Dave. You sure did hit the Jackpot!
Barry Griffiths
Tucson, Arizona & Waterloo, Ontario

Barry Griffiths

Barry Griffiths

bilwor

Messerschmitt  Me262 B-1C Swallow N262AZ Collins Foundation painted 501241 White 1
SDL Scottsdale 04/12/13

bill word
Tucson, AZ

Barry Griffiths

Great shots, Bill .......... right on the money!
Barry Griffiths

bilwor

Yours is "not bad" ;D  Barry in fact it is "quite good"  8) Thanks for the ride to Scottsdale for us to be able to get these shots.
bill word
Tucson, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Very nice images of the Me-262 from our Tucson representatives. Well done gentlemen  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Bubak

Barry Griffiths

Barry Griffiths