Going to San Diego on the 27th

Started by Daniel DeSart, August 23, 2011, 09:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel DeSart

First time going there, any must sees to recommend?

Also going to be my first time in a 737.

Jay Beckman

The San Diego Air & Space Museum in Balboa Park is nice (as is the entire park!) and the San Diego Zoo is an entire day by itself.  There's also the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park (now called the Safari Park I think) which I'm told is a good visit as well.  It's north of town a ways.

The USS Midway is also worth visiting, IMO.  There is also an entire maritime "cluster" at the SD Bay waterfront that includes an old ferry, a sub and a very snappy little motor yacht.  My wife did a harbor tour cruise when we were over there for the CoNA kick off back in February and she thoroughly enjoyed it.  We had dinner in Little Italy at a place called Zia Bistro and it was out of this world.  I highly recommend their lasagna!

There's Dog Beach on Coronado Island which is right under one of the approaches to NAS North Island but it's hit or miss as to whether or not you'll get rousted.  The "Hotel Del" on Coronado is a very cool and picturesque old property and the beaches along that side of the island are very nice.  We also drove around La Jolla a little bit and walked to an area that I believe is called the Children's Beach; a little cove where seals congregate.

You can drive up to Oceanside which has a nice pier.

Drop Matt a PM .. He and Ashley are very knowledgeable about visiting SD...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Daniel DeSart

Bubak

....very secret tip!!  Naval Outlying Landing Field Imperial Beach or NOLF Imperial Beach (ICAO: KNRS, FAA LID: NRS) is a United States Navy facility for helicopters, situated on 1,204 acres (5 km2) approximately 14 miles (23 km) south of San Diego and within the city limits of Imperial Beach, California. It is known as "The Helicopter Capital of the World".  As a result the helicopter squadrons at North Island do 95 percent of their operations at Imperial Beach. (Helicopter training side for Navy Seals, Delta Force)

Daniel DeSart

Quote from: Bubak on August 24, 2011, 06:35:53 AM
....very secret tip!!  Naval Outlying Landing Field Imperial Beach or NOLF Imperial Beach (ICAO: KNRS, FAA LID: NRS) is a United States Navy facility for helicopters, situated on 1,204 acres (5 km2) approximately 14 miles (23 km) south of San Diego and within the city limits of Imperial Beach, California. It is known as "The Helicopter Capital of the World".  As a result the helicopter squadrons at North Island do 95 percent of their operations at Imperial Beach. (Helicopter training side for Navy Seals, Delta Force)

:o Man, I sort of wish I didn't have my mother in tow with me, but then again it's nice to spend time with her even if it means not doing as much spotting as I would like to do.

I am going to try out Dog Beach being it is close to our hotel, but nothing is solid yet. "Hopefully I'll luck out"  Already got my tickets to sea world, I heard that is a must see, and I have plans on seeing the Midway.

Thanks guys for the help.

Jay Beckman

Watch where you sit at Sea World (or put a trashbag in your pocket to cover your gear...)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jeff D. Welker

I highly recommend Black's Beach near La Jolla. It is a nude beach located just below the Torrey Pines Glider Port. Jay, Ned, James, and I spent some quality time there during the ISAP Symposium earlier this year. While I did not witness it myself, I understand that James and world famous photographer Joe McNally did some nude tandem paragliding that will be the subject of an alternative lifestyle article in a future issue of National Geographic. Apparently, the web-seating of the paraglider caused James to give an entirely new meaning to the surfing term "hanging ten".
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Paul Dumm

Thank's Jeff, now dinner shot to hell... :o
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

scottcolbath

Salad on the keyboard for me. That right there was some funny stuff.

I'd like to add that at Seaworld, the "splash zone" is clearly marked for the Shamu show. Sit up high. Also, Seaworld has some special tours you can do in addition to the normal walking around the park and seeing all the stiff there is to see. Check their website for details.

Back when my son was a kid, we did a "behind the scenes" tour which was excellent, and my wife for her 50th birthday did what they called "trainer for a day", which was an excellent experience. I got to tag along and photograph her feeding Shamu, spending time in a dolphin tank and many other cool things. Well worth the money.

Dog beach can be a great photo op. Also, maybe check out the night skyline from Coronado, the surfers and dirty hippies at OB.

Jeff D. Welker

Jay, Paul & Scott - I apologize if my irreverent comments caused carbonated or alcoholic beverages to spew from your nostrils like a fire hose. Sometimes the voices in my head get control of the keyboard and I hit the "Post" button before proof reading.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

...other times, it's entirely intentional  ;)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

Depending on where the current BUD/S class is in their curriculum, you might also be able to catch them doing rock portage training on the rocks near the Hotel del Coronado. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ