News:

In Memory of David Loera
1974 - 2024

Main Menu

Introductions

Started by Joe Copalman, July 14, 2009, 07:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiokaos

A little about me.  I have been living in the Valley for over 20 years.  I did my undergrad at ASU main, and I'm still working on my Masters at ASU poly in Emergency Management.  I started up a communication company providing radios to Aviation, Public Safety,and the Military back in 97.  I provide radios to several big events.  I started working with air shows about 6 years ago and my first ride was in a single was a T-6, at the Reno Air Races.  I fell in love right then and there.  I got my PPL back in 07' and fly my Diamond DA20-C1 to air shows in the S.W.  I have a couple of air shows in the midwest as well as the Southwest, and I would love to pick up some skills shooting stills.  I do enjoy shooting video as well.  I am a total amateur but I want to learn more. 

scottcolbath

Guess I should toss up a little something.

Originally from Massachusetts, I've been in Az. for almost 20 years. The first time I saw the Thunderbirds was at Hanscom AFB. I was probably ten years old. I've had a lasting fascination/curiosity with aviation ever since. I used to bring my son out to Sky Harbor a lot when he was young, and also I used to live right over by Scottsdale's airport, so I spent a good deal of time out there. There were several times when F-18s would come in to Scottsdale to refuel or stop over. You always new when they were coming or going.  ;D I can't count the times I've stopped and/or turned around the car to catch a look at an aircraft taking off or landing. It never gets old.

I also had the good fortune to spend an entire day once, on the John C Stennis carrier. That was amazing. You would not believe how close we were allowed to get to the active catapults. It was a day to remember for sure. I'll have to scan those pictures and post them up.

Currently, I'm shooting with a Canon 30D and a couple of decent lenses. I plan on upgrading to a 7D or 1D soon, depending on finances.

I hope to meet you guys soon.

S.C.

Joe Copalman

Welcome guys.  Sounds like you both will fit in just great.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Starblade22

Hello everyone, another newby here.  I was initially referred to this stie while at the Heritage Flight Conference this year.  It was great to meet Joe and some other members of this board and FC this past week while photographing arrivals for the DM airshow - what a great time!  I have also been on FC for a few months.  I have been photographing aircraft at airshows for some years on my own, and have been using Canon DSLRs since 2006.  Anyway, I look forward to posting with and meeting more of you and improving my skills while contributing images that you will enjoy.

Edward

jslugman

Good to meet your Ed, looking forward to your images.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Ramp Rat

Here we go, post #1!

My name is Ben and after a little bit of legwork I've successfully joined the AzAP community (Thank you Matt and Dave for the help!).

I've lived in the Valley of the Sun since 1997 and have been an aviation nut since I was old enough to say the word 'airplane'. I work on the ramp at Sky Harbor for US Airways, and while it isn't a bad job (it pays the bills), it is really more just a job to keep me around airplanes while I get my ducks in a row for my career ambitions.  Oh, and flying for free is a plus!

I graduated this past December from ASU's aviation management program.  I possess a private pilot cert with instrument rating and am a newly accepted pilot for the Civil Air Patrol Sq. 305 at Falcon Field.

As for photography, I didn't pick up my first dslr until about a year and half ago (February of 09, to be precise), so I've only been at this photo thing a little while compared to probably most or all of everyone else here.  However, I absolutely love photography, and aviation photography is my biggest passion outside of actually flying airplanes. (If I could get paid to fly an airplane and take pictures of them at the same time, I'd be in heaven). 

Thanks!

Joe Copalman

Welcome aboard, Ben!
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

phantomphan1974

I too just found this thread.  My name is Damon and I am married and live in the South Bay about 15 miles south of Downtown LA.   My Dad got me in to aviation by taking me to the Chino show back when I was like 3-4 (1977-78) and also to Miramar and Pt. Mugu.  I think I started taking pictures in mid gradeschool with a kit built 110 camera.  I used my Dad Canon AE-1 when I got older and up until 2001 when I could afford my "own" camera, Elan 7. (think this is why I am an Canon guy)  I shot film and then met Joe Cupido and he got me into slides and help me to hone my photography and be an answer guy for me.  Sidenote, he got some great air-to-air stuff out there and also wrote the book "Chino" of you can find it.  My wife has help my passion by providing me with some of my equipment over the years.  I also love classic muscle cars and have one myself.

I have pretty much taught myself the photography and also benefitied from getting to know photographers such as yourself and we all help eachother out.  I have shot all over So Cal and frequent LAX sometimes as well and VNY and try to make the local airshow or visit local warbirds.

Josh Nyhus and myself started www.apsocal.com a few years back as Aviaiton Photographer of Torrance, then changed it to AP of Southern California and we have grown to over 150 members.  I was invited to join you guys after meeting Joe, Matt, Dave and other AZ photogs at photocalls and also on trips to DM for Phancons.  Its nice that we can all help eachother out whe traveling to each others state and that our websites complement each other as do our members that have signed up on our website and vice versa.
Damon Duran
Co: Founder: Aviation Photographers of Southern California www.ApSoCal.com
Orange County Sheriff PSR-Air Support Unit Photographer

Matt Ottosen

Damon, it's great to have you here, and we really appreciate all the help you gave us when we decided to launch AzAP (almost a year ago)!  Thanks again, and I look forward to shooting with you sometime soon.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

jslugman

Welcome Ben!

Nice ride Damon!
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Chris Kennedy

Hi all.

My name is Chris Kennedy and I have just joined the group. I have only lived in Arizona since last November (2009). Previously, I spent 19 years in San Diego. I am a retired computer database analyst.

I've been taking pictures of airplanes on and off since the mid-60's, but still consider myself a rank amateur. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum and the expert members. I met some of you yesterday (Saturday 8/28) at Gateway, but wasn't sure then which of the photographers there were members here.

Since, I'm a retired guy with a limited budget, I can't afford fancy photo gear like I saw yesterday. My camera is a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS.

Mostly, I have been shooting at Deer Valley Airport, since it is the closest to me. I used to hang out at Montgomery Field in San Diego a lot when I lived near there and took many photos there.

I have mostly been posting on Airport-Data.com, with a few photos on Picasaweb, and a handful on Flickr.

I'm looking forward to meeting others of the group at aviation venues around the area. I'm currently planning to attend the Coolidge fly-in in October.

My two online photo URLs are:

http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/Chris+Kennedy;3318/
http://picasaweb.google.com/ChrisKennedy92
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52882109@N07/

There are quite a few of my old shots on the A-D site that I scanned from slides, so sometimes the quality is not the best.

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

David Loera

Welcome to the group Chris, I am from SD also.
You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.
Chuck Yeager

David "Wiz" Loera
Mesa, AZ
All images © David Loera, all rights reserved.

jslugman

Welcome Chris, glad to have you on-board.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Chris Kennedy

Thanks, guys. Hope to meet you in person somewhere down the road.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Jay Beckman

Chris,

Good to meet you out at Willy the other day and welcome!

- Jay
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.