News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

Before And After

Started by Jay Beckman, May 25, 2011, 05:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

Great info Jay. I for one would enjoy learning what technique you use to "Select" the 737-800 for the Mask. For example, I would likely have tried using the "Color Range" selection method; however, that does not always work well. I know you've are a selection guru and would enjoy hearing about what works well for you when it comes to selection for masks.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jay Beckman

I usually use the Wand Tool at around "10" on the sensitivity scale and then it's a matter of working with the Smart Radius and Color Decontamination tools under "Refine Edge"

I find that because aircraft tend to reflect so much blue sky, it's hard to keep the selection out of the aircraft simply by selecting the Blue color range.

Another option is simply to make whatever selection you want and then go in and adjust the mask by painting in/out the elements you want included/excluded.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Note where the intake cover on #3 is laying.  It had blown off overnight during the rain storm that was the cause of Sunday's cancellation in Fort Worth:

Voila!  Gone...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

If this were the 1600s, you'd be burned at the stake for such wizardry.

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I don't think the mob will come for me unless and until I figure out how to clone #1's cover onto #3...

Then they'll bust out the torches and pitchforks for sure!   :o

Might get them meeting in the taverns if I swap out a couple of RBF tags though.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Time to light the BBQ...

- Replaced missing intake cover
- Fixed the RBF tag that was wrapped around the pitot cover
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

HERETIC!  WITCH!  BRRRRRRIDE OF SATAN! 

Kidding.  Phenomenal clonesmanship.

Here's one of my more humble offerings from WTI.  There were quite a few instances in which trees, Marines, and McGoverns wound up fouling otherwise good shots, and the shots below detail one such instance.  This was one of my few dusk beacon shots, and I was pretty happy that it was still salvageable.  To get the Marine and the car in the background out of the shots, I cloned that area from a shot a few frames earlier and pasted it in, only having to make a few minor levels adjustments to get it to match.  Pretty pleased with the results, and I used the same technique on a few other shots, mostly to get rid of cars in the background.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Looks good Joe.

I can tell that you saved yourself a little real-estate by tightening the framing but if that doesn't kill the image, then I say do it.

Well Done.

(I think we should form a coven)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Boring Aluminum Tube on a Nasty Flat Day

Slightly Less Boring Aluminum Tube on a Flat Day
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jeff D. Welker

BAM! Wonderful PP work Mr. Beckman. Thats one of the finest aluminum tubes images I've seen in quite some time.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Thanks Jeff....

How about a little nose art restoration:

Before:

After:
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jeff D. Welker

I gave birth to an extra large kidney stone that kept me in the hospital overnight. An IV of toradol and morphine got me through this travail with a minimum of man-crying. As I am still somewhat under the influence and restricted to base, I've been fooling with an image and wanted input from those who's judgement is not being skewed by chemicals. C&C most welcome - I have not ego to bruise; however, asking me to operate heavy equipment is out of the question.

"Regular/Standard" Processing.

Monochrome Conversion.

HDR/Vintage Processing.

Painterly/Artistic Processing
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

SOOC

After I finished herding pixels

Not really sure if I helped it or not...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Chetan

Quote from: Jeff Welker on November 23, 2011, 02:32:18 PM
I gave birth to an extra large kidney stone that kept me in the hospital overnight. An IV of toradol and morphine got me through this travail with a minimum of man-crying. As I am still somewhat under the influence and restricted to base, I've been fooling with an image and wanted input from those who's judgement is not being skewed by chemicals. C&C most welcome - I have not ego to bruise; however, asking me to operate heavy equipment is out of the question.

Hope you are feeling much better now Jeff. Morphine rocks  :P Learnt that during a 3 day stint at the hospital.... And looks like it's kicked in a lot of creativity...hehehe.. Take care buddy..

Jay Beckman

This is your Mustang:

This is your Mustang in Photoshop:

Any Questions?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com