Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II / "Warthog"

Started by Joe Copalman, July 10, 2009, 04:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

BillOz

That is a very cool shot Jay.  Looks like the Hog is snorting smoke. 
Also looks like there is one of the bullets captured in the photo, very slim streak at the far left, about a foot above the wingtip.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Joe Copalman

Yup, that's a bullet.  I'd say you can make them out in 1/3 to 1/2 of the gun run shots I took.  There's one that I was with better image quality - you can see five bullets in the photo.  Also have a few bomb-release shots of A-10s where you can just barely make out the BDU-33 being dropped. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

Great Shot Jay.  A couple of questions:  1.  Where were you when you snapped this?  2.  How close were you really?  Last one is tonge in cheek...Are you crazy...those 30 mike mikes can ricochet over a mile.  Wow, what a wonder...no beautiful shot...I wish I was standing next to you even if I didn't have a camera.  When that chainsaw lights up it is the scariest sound, and potentially the last sound you'll ever hear.  This photo should be on the cover of Air Combat Magazine.  Well done!

Joe Copalman

1. Range tower at complex II at the BMGR.  2. Close.  3. We were perpendicular to the path of the projectiles, so ricochets were not a concern.  Impact zones were 200-300 yards away from us.

We did see several rockets ricochet (most likely the fuses), but again, their direction of flight was perpendicular to ours. 

And yes, the gun sounds scary as hell - not so much the burp of the gun itself, but the mini-sonic booms (more like a deep, staccato KRACK!) of the rounds passing you.  The gun sound came a second later.  Spooky.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

Thanks Joe.  Awesome opportunity.  You all captured it well.

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

wingsnstuff

Ned Harris

A-10 (s/n 78-0650) with AN-ALQ-131 ECM pod. I've never seen one painted this color before.

_MG_5061 A-10  s/n 78-0650 by Ned Harris, on Flickr

_MG_5061a AN/ALQ-131 by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Daniel DeSart

Daniel DeSart

Ned Harris

A-10 (s/n 80-0207) on final into DM on 11/16/10. Note the blue (inert) bomb.

_MG_9703 A-10 (s/n 80-0207) by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Daniel DeSart

Finally got one of the Maryland A-10's. These guys came in around 3:30 PM.

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ