Thinking about buying an F4, any thoughts?

Started by Daniel DeSart, May 02, 2011, 11:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel DeSart

I went to an aircraft scrap yard today and found a tail section off of an f-4 phantom, unknown what variant, with the National Guard emblem on it.
I got a quote on the cost to remove and trim the emblem and it would cost me $250 (Both for the metal and trimming)

Is this a decent price?

BillOz

Anything is worth what you'll pay for it.

Hard to say on something like this.  Is there any way to comparison shop.  How about doing some of the work yourself, like at the pick and pull auto salvage lots.  Any chance of that happening?  Probably not for liability reasons.

If you like the piece, and are willing to pay for it, don't worry too much if someone else thinks you paid to much for it.  Get the best price you can, and if you can afford it, then it's the right price.

Maybe you could barter some photos of something the Salvage yard wants.

Good luck and enjoy what you get.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Daniel DeSart

Honestly I thought it sounded like a fair price for the amount of work that's involved.

Jay Beckman

$250 to have them pull the tail and cut it down to just the tail code?

I would agree that that's not a bad price.  Now, how much more to make it hang-able (both in terms of welding on some hooks and shoring up the place of honor if need be?)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Daniel DeSart

Quote from: Jay Beckman on May 02, 2011, 01:14:08 PM
$250 to have them pull the tail and cut it down to just the tail code?

I would agree that that's not a bad price.  Now, how much more to make it hang-able (both in terms of welding on some hooks and shoring up the place of honor if need be?)

Not sure.

Daniel DeSart

Picked it up today.  ;D

It was cut a little differently than I imagined, but I am still happy with it.

Hanging in the living room.

cpasley

I think its totally worth the money plus you know you could make a decent profit if you threw it up on ebay, would it havw been possible to get the entire tail?

Daniel DeSart

Quote from: Chris Pasley on May 09, 2011, 06:28:12 PM
I think its totally worth the money plus you know you could make a decent profit if you threw it up on ebay, would it have been possible to get the entire tail?

It would have cost me an arm and a leg for the whole tail. Plus the tail is A LOT bigger in person, it would have been a nightmare to try to get inside my apartment lol.

I am actually quite happy with the emblem I got off of it.

cpasley

I was thinkin an F-4 tail on my desk at work, great conversation peice eh, lol

Jay Beckman

Quote from: Chris Pasley on May 10, 2011, 06:02:32 AM
I was thinkin an F-4 tail as my desk at work, great conversation peice eh, lol

Fixed It...  ;D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.