News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (AZA, KIWA, IWA) "Willie"

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 12, 2009, 05:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Larson

Thank you Matt for your kind words. I hope that you had the opportunity to get to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway to see and photograph the Willie air tanker traffic. In the past three days there have been many new fire starts. Today 10 Tanker Air Carrier T-911 and T-912 were used on the initial slurry drops on the Moses Fire in New Mexico.

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Paul Larson on June 27, 2019, 06:22:24 PM
Thank you Matt for your kind words. I hope that you had the opportunity to get to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway to see and photograph the Willie air tanker traffic. In the past three days there have been many new fire starts. Today 10 Tanker Air Carrier T-911 and T-912 were used on the initial slurry drops on the Moses Fire in New Mexico.

As of the last month I have been working nights and weekends, and it has completely thrown me off.  I haven't been able to make it out for any photography in over a month.  I'm hoping things change soon, I have tonight and the next two off.  I guess now my weekends and holidays are during the week, just another thing I must get used to.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

The McDonnell Douglas DC-10 is one of my most beloved airframes.  This big tri-jet has always captured my fancy.  Nothing special about 912 taxiing to the fire base ramp, but the nice clouds was all the excuse I needed to make a photograph.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chris V

Ned Harris

Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Chris V

Brian Lockett

Antonov Design Bureau An-124-100M UR82027 visited Phoenix-Mesa Gateway on July 28 and 29, 2019 to pick up four Boeing AH-64E Apache helicopters for the Indian Air Force.

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

trmphoto

Tanker traffic from back in June:

Tanker 912

Tanker 40

Joe Copalman

Love that 10 Tanker shot with the gear up.  Was that shot form the hill, or from down near the Embraer lot?
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

trmphoto

Quote from: Joe Copalman on September 01, 2019, 09:04:51 PM
Love that 10 Tanker shot with the gear up.  Was that shot form the hill, or from down near the Embraer lot?

That was taken from the hill.  I noticed the gear came up quick on the two DC-10s operating that day.  Once they reached the freeway at the north end of the runway, they made a hard turn to the east and headed right for the fire.

Chris V

Brian Lockett

Antonov Design Bureau An-124-100M UR82023 visited Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, Arizona on December 4 and 5, 2019 to pick up four Boeing AH-64E Apache helicopters for the Indian Air Force.

Brian Lockett

Antonov Design Bureau An-124-100M UR82009 visited Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, Arizona on March 9, 2020.