Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (AZA, KIWA, IWA) "Willie"

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 12, 2009, 05:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Joe, you and Jeff and Scott did these Broncos proud, great shots and the sun coming out at the last minute, what a gift.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on February 08, 2014, 10:12:34 AM
Joe, you and Jeff did these Broncos proud, great shots and the sun coming out at the last minute, what a gift.

Thanks Harvey. While I don't pretend to speak for Scott or Joe, I think I'm safe in saying we had a great time  ;D

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Great work guys!  Hopefully I'll have some time to post another one or two later.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Tower Guy

Scott, monochrome shot of the Bronco is outstanding, it really compliments the shape more then color can.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on February 08, 2014, 06:58:15 PM
Scott, monochrome shot of the Bronco is outstanding, it really compliments the shape more then color can.

+1 - Terrific conversion Scott!
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thanks guys.  Can't go wrong with an OV-10 front view.  On the OV-10 page I just posted a shot of the same aircraft (155502) at Sky Harbor in the spring of 1973.  What's almost as interesting are the aircraft in the background!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

ARCTIC COMMANDER

Alaska Division of Forestry bird a long way from home.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Cool! No pun intended. Another Garrett powered classic.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Tower Guy

That is one clean commander, photographed very well. The sky condition really enhances the aircraft, beauty Joe.

Jeff D. Welker

Joe - nice job getting low angle on that squatty Commander. Super image sir.

Here is a Bronco image that was inspired by Messrs. Copalman. Aggressive in-camera framing (no post cropping or rotation) and some nice light. It was tough for me to angle my camera on the tripod with a bubble level sitting in the hot-shoe. In the end, I think it was worth the angst to step out of my comfort zone.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Jeff,  Really like the way you've enhanced the light and created that classic Welker glow.  Just beautiful.  My internal jury is still deliberating on the tilted horizontal.  Not that anybody asked!  Regardless, it's a great piece of art.  The added warmth is very appealing.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on February 09, 2014, 09:45:00 PM
Jeff,  Really like the way you've enhanced the light and created that classic Welker glow.  Just beautiful.  My internal jury is still deliberating on the tilted horizontal.  Not that anybody asked!  Regardless, it's a great piece of art.  The added warmth is very appealing.

Thanks Scott. Since the titled horizon was done "in-camera" there is no going back on this image. Not something I'd do often. IMO, aggressive framing is a unique art form - regardless of the subject. After Joe posted his "UNBEATABLE" image (http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=1525.msg47362#msg47362), I was inspired to give it a try. Following Joe's reference to photographer Adrian Lang, I've been studying tight crops and aggressive framing. I believe photographers blessed with the right artistic vision see these opportunities and zoom/tilt away. Since I am mercifully free of that artistic gene, I just have to go with trial and error. Like you, I'm not sure if this image "works" or even if this style is for me. I will say that when it is done "right" (determined by the viewer) I think it takes an image to another level of artistic expression.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Jeff, I love the image and I definitely think there is a place for tight crops and tilted framing.  I've seen it employed with exceptional results.  Like I said I'm still deliberating.  In this case part of me likes it and part of me finds it disorienting.  It adds some dynamics in this image for sure.  Diagonals are well recognized for adding strength to a composition. Sometimes I get the sense that it is employed when the artist/photographer has run out of other ideas. Not saying that this is the case here.  Your image is outstanding for many reasons.  And by the way, you are not free of that artistic gene.  Quite the contrary.  Your willingness to break some "rules" and experiment with new techniques is an example for us all.  Your methods have certainly influenced me in a positive way.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved