15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (AZA, KIWA, IWA) "Willie"

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 12, 2009, 05:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

DID SOMEBODY CALL 911?

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

FelipeG

I almost feel like going there with a tape measure and place my ladder at 6ft +/- 1 in

cpasley

Bummer and just when I started to learn the advantages of being taller then something to shoot over as opposed to through it

Chris Janes

QuoteI almost feel like going there with a tape measure and place my ladder at 6ft +/- 1 in
Should show up with a scissor lift or a cherry picker instead.  :P

Joe Copalman

Eh.  Taller ladders, I guess.  A four-footer on the hill has been working out nicely for me for a while, but for those nose-on taxi shots, being able to position a ladder near the fence has been invaluable.  There are definitely ways to adapt and still respect the new guidelines.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

FelipeG

Quote from: Joe Copalman on August 30, 2012, 10:27:06 PM
Eh.  Taller ladders, I guess.  A four-footer on the hill has been working out nicely for me for a while, but for those nose-on taxi shots, being able to position a ladder near the fence has been invaluable.  There are definitely ways to adapt and still respect the new guidelines.

You mean the grassy small hill right by the gazebo?

At McCarran there's a similar sign, however, the Sunset Ave parking lot has a ~5.5' sidewalk and then the parking lot, so if you have a pickup you can use the ladder on pickup bed method, or the standing on your roof method.

mrblujet

Quote from: Joe Copalman on August 30, 2012, 10:27:06 PM

How long before the 'No Ladders on Grass' signs appear?

FelipeG

Quote from: mrblujet on August 31, 2012, 05:32:03 PM

How long before the 'No Ladders on Grass' signs appear?

I was under the impression that a "Please keep off the grass" was posted somewhere around the gazebo.

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

How about a sign that says "No Photographers on Grass".
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

FelipeG

Quote from: Scott Youmans on September 01, 2012, 01:57:02 PM
How about a sign that says "No Photographers on Grass".

Then you pull out a small notebook and some binoculars and say you're a plane spotter.

Matt Ottosen

McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II Plus
Marine Attack Squadron 513 (VMA-513) "Flying Nightmares"

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.