Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Anna M. Wood

Jay,

What lens are you using for the cockpit shots?

Jay Beckman

Quote from: RenderBay on November 01, 2013, 02:52:03 PM
Jay,

What lens are you using for the cockpit shots?

EF 17-40mm f/4L is my widest glass but I'm on APS-H which is a 1.3X Crop so I'm not getting the full benefit.

Beastly, Too...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Very nice image Scott. Not our typical harsh summer lighting and the shadows don't interrupt the image dramatically. In addition, a terrific location for the shoot. Did you fly in with the helo or meet them onsite? Also, is this MD one of Flight Trails Helicopters out of Falcon? Seems like I've seen this one (or one very much like it) in their yard. Well done sir.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thanks Jeff!  Yes, it is one of Flight Trails' helos.  They just re-built it and are selling it.  They flew me out to that location to do some work for another firm.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Chris Janes

Jeff D. Welker

^^^^ Very cool monochrome treatment Chris. I like how the fuselage has a soft glow that contrasts nicely against the background.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

I'll second that motion!  Also like the composition with the one blade out in the negative space.  The photo makes the helo look very insect-like.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Tower Guy

azspyder

Awesome shot Harvey! I really like that formation...nice catch!

Tower Guy

Thanks Steve, I wasn't on the base when I took this. These people didn't seem to want their picture taken.

yipDog

Want to throw this out there to the group...

A friend contacted me about helping him find pics of a particular helicopter he is building an RC model of for the scale masters competition coming up later this year. Got me thinking about how to use the network of friends who are into photography and aviation. So this is a test run of how things might go.

He is looking for a Sikorsky H-34/S-58 in the Coast Guard white/red or red/white scheme or similar brightly colored. Doesn't have to be Coast Guard but must be a brightly colored rescue variant. So the first part of this is searching the memory banks and then hard drives to find a pic of one of these birds.

The next part, once that pic is deemed the correct bird, is to do walk-around and detail shots of that heli to document that what my friend is building is correct in every way. We would supply a list of shots needed...about 20 total. Not artsy stuff...just documenting.

There was a company years ago that supplied these photo packs to "fixed-wing" scale modelers but has since gone away. I don't recall ever seeing helis in their catalog.

There is a small amount of money to be made...and I mean small. There is, however, a large niche to be filled in the RC community for this type of work.

Please PM me if you are interested or have access to the heli mentioned above. Other birds he mentioned needing photo packs for are the Apache A and D models, and the Eurocopter AS350 in as crazy a color scheme as you can find.
The RC versions BTW are huge! His contest-winner from last year, a Bell 47, is almost 8 feet long with a 10 foot rotor!!