USB Cartridge Could Let Any 35mm Film Camera Shoot Digital

Started by cholubaz, April 04, 2011, 05:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cholubaz

RE35 proposes a solution: a digital cartridge that fits into any 35mm camera and connects to your computer via USB.

The RE-35 cartridge, in place of film, has a pull-out "sensor" that captures the images and saves them to flash memory within the cartridge. When plugged in to a computer, the cartridge charges and transfers images with built-in software.

http://re35.net/

Very interesting concept. I hope they can pull it off.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
Pilot flying out of KDVT or KGEU
Flying a 2003 Piper Archer III N354MA (DVT)
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)
Co-Host of the intherpatternpodcast

Jay Beckman

I think you need to check the date this was released...   ;)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

cholubaz

Quote from: Jay Beckman on April 04, 2011, 05:29:15 PM
I think you need to check the date this was released...   ;)

Ok will do and you found that where? I just went back and I didn't see a date?
Was it on April 1st?
Can you go into why I need to check the date?

Chris
Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)

Jay Beckman

This has been universally panned on several sites as probably being an April Fool's hoax or at the very least, an exercise by a design firm for how such a product might look.

dpReview Discussion

Photo.net discussion

Pop Photo Article

There have been attempts in the past to create "flexible silicon" and I guess the technology is improving for things like solar cells and displays, but it's not been revisited for the photography market in some time.

Key Elements from the above links:
- What powers it in the camera?
- What processes the images in the camera?
- Why "Set your camera to ISO 400 and you're ready to shoot" ?
- Why such "cardinal" file sizes?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

cholubaz

Quote from: Jay Beckman on April 04, 2011, 05:56:56 PM
This has been universally panned on several sites as probably being an April Fool's hoax or at the very least, an exercise by a design firm for how such a product might look.

dpReview Discussion

Photo.net discussion

Pop Photo Article

There have been attempts in the past to create "flexible silicon" and I guess the technology is improving for things like solar cells and displays, but it's not been revisited for the photography market in some time.

Key Elements from the above links:
- What powers it in the camera?
- What processes the images in the camera?
- Why "Set your camera to ISO 400 and you're ready to shoot" ?
- Why such "cardinal" file sizes?

Well I'm a pilot and not as much as a Pro Photographer so I don't spend as much time on those other sites but I have visited them in the past. This was the first i have seen it and it sounded very interesting so I thought I would share,
I also own a phone now that even 6 years ago people wouldn't believe it could do what mine can now and be running a dual core processor and 1gb of ram and 16gb of storage and have a 1800mah lipo battery.
So although this may not be on the market at this moment I'm not sure that it couldn't.
You can put a small lipo in that easy. I have a little keychain cam I use for taking video of my flights and it looks like a key fob you use for your car alarm so it's that small but I get 1hr of video from it. The lens and circuitry is so tiny but it shoots in 1280x960
I think back when I use to use my Olympus OGM which I still have but haven't used in many years but 400 speed film is what I used the most. Maybe because it's just a good all around speed. I'm not sure on that.
Anyway I'm not trying to stir anything up or get some sort of forum war going, and sorry if I'm coming off that way because that's not my personality.
By the way check out Aluminum Overcast Pics I took with my phone https://picasaweb.google.com/chris.holub/EAASB17AluminumOvercast#
and Video http://www.twitvid.com/V0GHL

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)