High Country Warbirds Fly-in - Valle June 25th

Started by Jay Beckman, January 30, 2011, 02:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Jay Beckman

Less "Mini-Chino" and more "Maxi-Coolidge."

Don't have the active runway access but they "make up" for it by bending it around the crowd line really nicely and there are very nice cranking, taxi out/in, shut down shots to be had as well.

As Joe said, prop discs are at a bit of a premium because they are quite close and they aren't flying at very high power settings. The P-38 last year was really problematic in this regard.  Even 1/125 was only yielding maybe 3 or 4 blade-widths of blur and 1/90 wasn't much better.  Same with the P-40.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

A few examples from last year:

340mm @ 1/320

403mm @1/320

313mm @ 1/320

370mm @ 1/125

213mm @ 1/320

247mm @ 1/320 (shot from further back near the terminal)

267mm @ 1/250

And a few from 2009:

198mm @ 1/320

150mm @ 1/320

403mm@ 1/320 (shot at 9:37am, heat haze already a significant problem)

150mm @ 1/200

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what to expect.  Worth noting is that all of these shots are very minimally cropped from the originals and were shot on an APS-C bodies with a 1.6 crop.  It's a good idea to give yourself a little wiggle-room on focal length as well so you're minimizing the amount of shots in which you are cutting off noses and tails.

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Thanks guys, the info is very helpful. I'm definately looking forward to the opportunity.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

I just called up there.  P-51 and P-38 are confirmed, people have already booked rides on those two aircraft.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

CJPalmer

I might make it down to this. I'll be at the Canyon for the Grand Canyon Star Party. If anyone has extra time, you should make the trip up. There will be a couple dozen telescopes at the visitor center and Saturday will be the last night for viewing.

Matt Ottosen

Anybody going up and back on Saturday and looking for a couple of passengers (Ashlie and I) to help with fuel expenses?
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Jay Beckman

Mr. Welker and I are going up and back in one day but we're starting out on the wrong side of town.

Could snag you from the Anthem Outlet Mall parking lot (NW corner of Anthem Way and I-17) I suppose if there's no better alternative.
We'd be passing there at just about 0545hrs.  Maybe a hair earlier.  Quickly off the freeway and back on again wouldn't take that much time.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Jay Beckman on June 22, 2011, 10:53:15 PM
Mr. Welker and I are going up and back in one day but we're starting out on the wrong side of town.

Could snag you from the Anthem Outlet Mall parking lot (NW corner of Anthem Way and I-17) I suppose if there's no better alternative.
We'd be passing there at just about 0545hrs.  Maybe a hair earlier.  Quickly off the freeway and back on again wouldn't take that much time.

Mr. Beckman, that sounds like a fine idea!  We'll be in the parking lot no later than 0530hrs.  Thank you!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Jay Beckman

I'm sure the lot will be wide open at that point so it shouldn't be hard to find you two.  Keep sorta to the south end and we'll be back out that much quicker.  IIRC, there are good shade spots to be had now that the trees have grown up a little bit there.

Glad this worked out.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

scottcolbath

I'm guessing that I will be at the show no later than 08:30. My plan is to depart Wickenburg no later than 05:30 on my Hayabusa, which is more or less a time machine when it comes to eating up miles of asphalt.

Look for the big hairy dude with the 7D (The 5D Mk2 stays home this day) and 70-200. That will be me. And I may be holding a foam cow.  ;D

Hoping for an epic day.

S.C.

Matt Ottosen

Just talked to PoF, Chino, they sent two P-51's, one P-38, and one B-25.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Rob Silliman

I-17 road report - one section (<2 miles) down to one lane (both directions, North and South), about 25 miles south of Flagstaff.

Jay Beckman

Thanks for the heads up Rob.  Hopefully, it won't be an issue that early on a Saturday.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

cpasley

As I sit here reading this in my work cubicle :(

Joe Copalman

Just read a facebook update from Matt - P-38 is broken and winds are ridiculous.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ