High Country Warbirds Fly-in - Valle June 25th

Started by Jay Beckman, January 30, 2011, 02:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Jay Beckman

The list of events on Fence Check has Valle on June 25, 2011...

Just a heads up for planning purposes.  I think this time, a room in Flag for the night after may be in order.  Up and back in one day was a b*tch last year.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

cpasley

cpasley

Time to start some serious planning..........

Ned Harris

I plan to be there. Who else is going?
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Joe Copalman

I'm a no-go for this one, unfortunately.  DeFord is supposedly heading up there with the Spit, so it should be pretty fantastic.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

cpasley

I am planning on going, anyone thinking of getting a carpool together, if so count me plus I dont mind driving the long distance

Jeff D. Welker

As of now, I'm planning on going and will likely be taking my Dad. Anticipate getting a room in Flag to break-up the trip and keep my sleep deprivation to a minimum.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Chris Kennedy

I'm thinking about going. Not sure whether it would be a one-day or two-day trip though.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Bubak

Matt Ottosen

Ashlie and I are going, hotel rooms are already booked!!  ;D
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

scottcolbath

I'll be stopping in. I'm incorporating the fly-in as part of a 500 mile loop I'll be riding that day.

S.C.

azbill

Had a great time last year and will be going again this year. I think a room in Flag is in order this time arond though.
Great news on the Spit! Any idea which other planes will be there?

Bill

Jeff D. Welker

I'm planning on attending this event and hope other AzAP folks are also going as well. Thinking about renting a 300mm f/2.8 or 500mm f/4 to use with my 1.4TC. Any recommendations on which lens would work best for this venue? What is the access for photographers? Is there plenty of flying or is it more of a static situation?

I'm hoping it is akin to the Chino show on a slightly smaller scale. Help a brother out and help me prepare.

Thanks.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

NEG-A-TIVE on the 500, kimosabe.  Way too much lens for this.  Your 100-400 should give you what you need, and the 300 would be a good way of supplementing that, but only if you're shooting the Tri-Motor or a Bird Dog - you won't have time for the long-prime approach to zoom side-on transition.  Pick a camera for each approach and stick with it.  The flying is so close that I have to back up just keep stuff in frame at 150mm.  500 might get you some decent front-quarter shots early in the morning before the heat haze picks up.

Just a heads-up - this event will frustrate the hell out of you, moreso if you're trying to be a prop blur hero.  Hard enough to pan effectively for sharp shots at 1/320, let alone 1/160 and lower.  They fly really close and really fast.  Not saying don't try it, just be aware that the keeper rate for this event is typically pretty low even when going for vanilla shots.  Maybe try shooting one pass conservatively to get a few solid keepers, then drop the shutter speed.  

Light is far better in the morning, so I recommend getting there early.  Hanging around later might get you static access after the flying is done.  

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Actually, reviewing my shots, I'd like to tone down my shoot-down of the 500.  Still probably not ideal, but you might do better with the 300.  Shots to follow.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ