News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Pentagon delays F-35, buys more Boeing fighters

Started by Rob Silliman, January 06, 2011, 03:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Silliman

Part of the new Pentagon cost savings announced today, the Marine Corps variant of the F-35 is being moved back to a 'development' project instead of production, and could face cancellation.

Boeing - gets an order for more F/A-18's.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0614834620110106?pageNumber=1

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

BillOz

Unfortunately it means more delays of what they will get, and so it will actually mean more money overall, more expensive for each, and fewer of them.  If it meant they were going to cancel it and buy more F-22's, F-15's, F-16's, and F-18's, then I'd think it was a good move.  Even if they were going to go with a more capable unmanned fighter, I'd think it was good, but it will just end up more money for less capable, fewer quantity fighters, at a time when the Air Force fighter inventory averages about 20-25 years old. and the F-35's won't be operational for another 5 years. 
Maybe the Chinese will sell their Stealth at Walmart, and then we can afford some fighters.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Jay Beckman

Quote from: BillOz on January 06, 2011, 06:16:26 PM
Maybe the Chinese will sell their Stealth at Walmart, and then we can afford some fighters.

A little early for "Line Of The Year" but this is a very strong, early contender...   ;D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Well, only the B is getting nailed to a cross here.  The F-35A and F-35C are still moving forward.  When the Brits nixed their F-35B order in favor of the F-35C, I had a strong feeling the B was not going to materialize for the Corps.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

John B.

Chris Kennedy

When all of the congressmen who are getting "campaign contributions" from Lockheed Martin and their contractors get involved in this, things might change.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

cpasley

That article says that the F-35B is on hold and that they are buying more F-18's ,the one thing I had already read was that the Navy was getting more superhornets to fill a huge gap ,does that leave the USMC trying to hold together their current legacy hornets or has someone finally wised up and are supplying the Corps with the super bug?

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ