McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A/B/C/D Hornet

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 11, 2009, 08:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

Two ATARS equipped -18Ds from Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 225 (VMFA(AW)-225) "Vikings" that came through Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport last Sunday on their way back to Miramar.

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

"Volkswagen" bug arriving at Willie:
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

F/A-18D from Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 225 (VMFA(AW)-225) "Vikings" departing Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Jbong

To Joe and Matt very nice work there.

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Joe Copalman

One of those shots I "saw" after I had already taken a much larger shot and cropped it down to what I wish I had been full-framing.  Section of A+ birds from VMFA-314 departing Willie on Saturday.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

David Loera

You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.
Chuck Yeager

David "Wiz" Loera
Mesa, AZ
All images © David Loera, all rights reserved.

Jason Hyatt

A Blue creating some vapes at Pensacola last August.
All images are © Jason Hyatt and may not be used without consent

"When one engine fails on a twin engine aircraft, you always have enough power to get you to the crash site." - Unknown

Dave S.

Here's one from a trip to El Centro back in '08.  He wasn't quite lined up with the centerline and decided to initiate a go-around.  His go-around took him right over the top of our heads.

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Dave S.

James,

I went back to check the original file, zooming in as best I could, and I think it's just a standard nose config - not the recce nose.

I believe those are just the standard vents just in front of the nose gear doors.  It doesn't appear that the ATARS nose has these vents.  Also, the ATARS nose has two windows that are just forward of the pitot tubes (forward of the previously mentioned vents), which this plane does not appear to have either.  So, based on that - my guess is that this plane has the standard nose.

Joe, or any other of our in-house experts, am I on track or way off base?

- Dave
www.roxphotography.com

wingsnstuff

Jay/David.  The Hornet, to my knowledge does not have a reconnissance nose option.  Like the F-14 Tomcat, the F/A-18s use a pod mounted system, called SHARP. 

The Shared Reconnaissance Pod (SHARP) system provides Navy and Marine Corps Hornets with high- and medium-altitude tactical reconnaissance capability.  SHARP is a multi-functioned reconnaissance pod, adaptable to several airborne platforms for manned tactical airborne reconnaissance. The SHARP system is compatible with both the Super Hornet and F/A-18C and D Hornet variants. The SHARP pod is carried on the F/A-18 centerline with a standard 30-inch attachment, has a 1760 interface to aircraft, and is the size of a 330-gallon fuel tank. It has state of the art sensors (manufactured by Recon Optical Inc.) to satisfy Navy tactical airborne reconnaissance, replacing the F-14 Tomcat Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance Pod System (TARPS).

Dave S.

Vance,

Here's some info on the ATARS recce nose that is fitted to the F/A-18D to fulfill the tactical recon mission for the Marine Corps.  Not sure how this hardware compares with the capabilities of the TARPS pod.  All that I know is what the unit looks like when installed on a 'D' version of the Hornet.

http://www.mcara.us/FA-18D_ATARS.html

Cheers,
Dave
www.roxphotography.com

Joe Copalman

Yup - ATARS is exclusive to the Marine Corps and was fielded to regain some of the capabilities lost when VMFP-3 stood down and retired their RF-4Bs back in the early 90s.
Here's what an ATAR-equipped F/A-18D looks like.  Only a handful of Ds received the mod, and all of them serve with VMFA(AW) squadrons.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

I was not aware that the Marines had some of their D model Hornets reconfigured with ATARS.   The ATARS installation in the Hornet photo looks permanent.  The SHARP pod is supposed to enable any Hornet to be used as a recce bird.  Regarding SHARP capabilities, it's supposed to be the latest in technical capability.  I don't know how old ATARS is, but if it's over three years old, it's probably been superseded in technical capabilities, sensor resolution, speed, and data linkage.  Joe, that's a great photo of the D.