Need some help.......GPS navigation installed at certain airports (GNSS)

Started by scottcolbath, December 14, 2010, 08:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

OK, at tonight's airport commission meeting, there was talk about our five year plan to have a GPS based, and I assume GNSS system installed at the Wickenburg airport. Actual details are not out there for us at this time, but I assume GNSS is it. The concerns about getting this done don't matter at this time to some degree, but there is supposed to be a list of airports out there which was compiled by the FAA that are considered high priority airports that will get this GPS system installed ASAP. Show Low, being one which has recently had this luxury put in place, and much to their surprise, surveyors just showed up one day to get the details ironed out and get the system installation started.

I am trying to find this "list" of airports which are supposed to be on the GNSS short list.

Any ideas/suggestions? The FAA isn't offering up any help.

Another thing discussed at tonight's meeting was the still pending trash transfer station to be built within close proximity of the airport, and the possibility that if it is built, even to current FAA regulations, it may not meet the FAA regulations down the road, which could cause problems with funding for the GNSS program.

Damn, politics is a pain in the ass.  ???

How say this august group?

S.C.

Jay Beckman

Are we talking about a WAAS-enabled precision approach overlay to an existing instrument approach or a brand new GPS approach from scratch?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jay Beckman on December 20, 2010, 11:36:02 PM
Are we talking about a WAAS-enabled precision approach overlay to an existing instrument approach or a brand new GPS approach from scratch?

From scratch Jay. We have nothing out here now.

S.C.

Jay Beckman

I was just doing some noodling in Google and I'm seeing to GNSS being a UK or European thing with associated references to RNAV as the US term.

Could it be you're not finding much because you're looking for the "wrong" thing?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jay Beckman on December 21, 2010, 01:24:05 PM
I was just doing some noodling in Google and I'm seeing to GNSS being a UK or European thing with associated references to RNAV as the US term.

Could it be you're not finding much because you're looking for the "wrong" thing?

That is surely possible.  ;D

I'll go back to the main man at the airport and ask him for more info.

S.C.

scottcolbath

I just looket at our master plan and it mentions WAAS is what the FAA wants to roll out.

S.C.

scottcolbath

Well, form that one course correction (thanks Jay) I think I'm on to something. I found a document on the FAA's website which states this:

"Applying for the Procedure
Once the appropriate data is collected, the airport sponsor or
state aviation authority needs to submit an official request for
development of the procedure to the FAA. The application
process is a straight forward process and available on the
World Wide Web at http://avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=ifp/
requests"

So, it seems there is no elusive list. More than likely, someone not aware of the situation in Show Low told someone else that the surveyors just showed up one day and next thing, it's done.

I'll be surprised if out of seven guys at a meeting, me, the new guy, was the only one with enough sense to air this out amongst a knowledgeable base of people (you guys) and root through to find the answer. It was a total investment of less than 30 minutes time to work through this.

Another possibility would be that they have already done the pre-work and submitted a request, but I was not made aware of that at the last meeting.

Link to the document:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/media/MaximizingAirportOperationsUsingWAAS.pdf

S.C.

Jay Beckman

Show Low has an NDB on the field so they may have a published NDB Approach for which they've had a GPS Overlay approved.

AirNav lists the closest navaid to Wickenburg as being the Buckeye VOR @ 349 for 32 miles.  I don't know if there's a distance limit on how far away a VOR can be to still fly an approach.  For example, the Stanfield VOR is only about 7-10 miles from Casa Grande and there is a VOR approach published there (in addition to the ILS for RWY 5)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jay Beckman on December 22, 2010, 12:29:37 PM
Show Low has an NDB on the field so they may have a published NDB Approach for which they've had a GPS Overlay approved.

AirNav lists the closest navaid to Wickenburg as being the Buckeye VOR @ 349 for 32 miles.  I don't know if there's a distance limit on how far away a VOR can be to still fly an approach.  For example, the Stanfield VOR is only about 7-10 miles from Casa Grande and there is a VOR approach published there (in addition to the ILS for RWY 5)

Damn dude, every time you post something, I learn something new or am confused and then have to read up on it, hence, learning more.  ;D

S.C.

Jay Beckman

Obviously not a proper test but I just went and fired up FSX to see if there was anyway to fly into E25 tracking the BKX VOR and, well, there really isn't.  Too much of an offset.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com