News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Why I Keyword

Started by jslugman, November 23, 2010, 08:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jslugman

From time to time I get a message on Flickr (usually) asking why in the world I put so many keywords in my images. One reason is because the database I use for my images, Microsoft Expression (formerly Extensis Portfolio) allows me to search, sort and filter by those keywords. Photo buyer X contacts me for an image of any F-16 from Ohio. Easy to find, quick return of the request and possibly the sale.

Another is because of something on Flickr called APIs. They're programs that scour the information kept on each Flickr image and developers can use them to search and collect images based on words or dates and even locations. One of these is the Flickr hivemind that is yet another search engine scouring Flickr. I don't use it but every now and again my name pops up in a Google alert (you ARE using Google alerts for your name/website/etc., aren't you?). Today I got one because there was a search generating results for the term "laserdesignator" at Flickr hivemind.

The screen shot shows you what I saw: 25 results, 22 of them with a cool little signature swoosh in the corner. My swoosh. Click on any of those bordered in yellow and it takes you my Flickr page for the image. Usage info, contact information, all the stuff a photo buyer would need to reach out and touch you regarding the image. All based on keywords. Give it a try. Well, after you set up those Google alerts.

http://www.google.com/alerts
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Hankmann

It amazes me how many photographers do not keyword their photos. So many file names are "09082009.CRW". Then they wonder why they get no traffic to their sites. No keywords + non-descriptive files names = no traffic.

Great pointers James !

I did a few posts on my blog about keywording both for google and internal use:http://www.blog.hankplumley.com/category/tutorials-2/keywordstags-why-they-are-important/