Flying J Ranch Airport

Started by Jeff D. Welker, October 07, 2019, 01:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

Flying J Ranch Airport (FAA LID: E37) is a privately owned, public use non-towered airport located in the desert approximately 5 miles southwest of the central business district of Pima, Arizona.  I became aware of this airport while using GoogleEarth to locate some of the small cemeteries located in the Gila Valley.  I was lucky to speak with the airport owner and got permission to visit this past Friday (10/04).  It would appear that there has been little flying in and out of the Flying J recently.  Desert brush dot the two dirt runways.  The item that really got my attention on GoogleEarth was a C-119 Flying Boxcar that is located at the Flying J.  The owner tells me he bought the C-119 from a boneyard in Tucson.  He then disassembled it, trucked it to the Flying J, and assembled it for display purposes.  There was no intention of them flying the C-119.  The main entry gate indicates the Flying J was started in 1973.  It appears the idea was to have a private airport where folks could live/fly during the pleasant winter months.  While there is one old metal hangar along runway 7/25, it does not appear the Flying J ever was fully developed.  My favorite airframe is a wingless 1955 Piper PA-23-150 Geronimo that is used as a 'Wind T' - terrific idea.  Here are a few of my photos I took during a short visit.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jeff D. Welker

A few more photos...
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

You found a real gem in the desert Mr. Welker. Great series of photos Jeff.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on October 07, 2019, 01:54:40 PM
You found a real gem in the desert Mr. Welker. Great series of photos Jeff.

Thank you kind sir.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ