American Heroes Airshow, September 25th, 2010, Lake Havasu City

Started by Joe Copalman, September 07, 2010, 12:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Joe Copalman

This one kind of snuck in under the radar, but as some of our California-based members can attest, this is usually one hell of a show, with a variety of helos from various military, law enforcement, and emergency services agencies, as well as several private and warbird helicopters as well flying in for the event.  There are no specifics on what will be there, so I emailed the organizer asking what agencies/units/owners had confirmed that they will be attending.  I will post this info if I get a reply.

Looking at Google maps, it looks like the airport is set up so that the light will favor photography in the afternoon.

Looks like a nice day trip, even if it is to the hottest part of the state.

More (limited) info on the Heroes website here: http://www.heroes-airshow.com/lakehavasu/
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I'm game...

Wheels up at 0500 would get us there by 0830-ish...!   ;D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Stephen Marshall

I'm in as well. Though the 25th sticks out in my mind as something going on down here.  Will have to see.
-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

phantomphan1974

Didn't realize you guys had one too!  Ours is cool.  Kind of slow during the middle of the day unless you like police, fire and law enforcement vehicles and equipment.  Most of the photogs come for the arrivals and the departures.....  Would be interesting to see what helos show for yours.  See if they have a media sign up too.  Our did, but then different staff.
Damon Duran
Co: Founder: Aviation Photographers of Southern California www.ApSoCal.com
Orange County Sheriff PSR-Air Support Unit Photographer

Joe Copalman

Looking at the layout of the airport, it really looks as if it will favor departure shots, as arrival shots look like they'll be directly into the morning sun. 

I heard back from the organizer last night, he is still working on the finalized list of confirmed attendees, I will pass it along when I have it.  He did confirm that the attending aircraft will be departing later in the day on Saturday.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

phantomphan1974

Is that Jim?  He's a nice guy.  Met him a few times.  Morris handled the photogs this year at Hansen Dam.
Damon Duran

Joe Copalman

Yup, very nice, as far as can be discerned through email.  I'll ask him about media stuff when I hear back from him.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

phantomphan1974

Since its at an airport maybe not.   Since ours is at a park its a little different but good luck.  They stick to the FAA guidelines unless your one of their photogs.  They are approved to be closer.  Only one or two of them video and stills.
Damon Duran

cpasley

Well took some greasing of the wheels and some promises made but I was aprroved the day off and I was wondering who is going to this?

cpasley

Ok so since its a done deal for me and I am ok to go ,I was wondering if I could catch a ride with someone ,I would be totally willing to help with gas and maybe some friendly conversation ,message me here or text me @ 602-465-7153

Joe Copalman

I'm a no-go for this, unfortunately.  Sent another email to Jim, hoping I can get a list of aircraft that will be attending for you guys who are headed up there, and for those who are on the fence.  Really wish I could make it.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Ok, I heard back from Jim. 

Bad news is that they're only expecting about four helos to come in.

The ridiculously awesome news is that, in addition to those four helos, they've managed to score an Osprey for the event.  That alone should be worth the trip. 

I followed up with Jim to see if he had more info on the four helo commitments he got, I'll post them if I get them. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ