News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 29 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

AzAP Calendars?

Started by redsox223, April 03, 2010, 09:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsox223

I forget if this has been mentioned before, so if so i will not be mad if I am called out. Maybe during the fall, we could put together a calender(s) for both the photo of the month and photo challenge with proceeds going to something(I dont know what, maybe for upkeep of the forum, or some future group outing?)

serendipifly

cpasley

maybe we can do like "sexy aircraft photographers of arizona" ,hey it works on tv  ;)

Jay Beckman

By no means am I an expert on this but if we do something and want to sell it, I believe we'd need property releases for any private aircraft...

I am however, always a little fuzzy on what actually constitutes "commercial use."  Some claim it's any situation where any consideration is given for an image while others maintain it's only in those cases where a person or object is used to promote another item (ie, in an ad or for an endorsement...)

Any copyright lawyers in the group?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

I don't think we would need releases for images of private aircraft. 

There are a a few sticky issues with anything we would make money off of.  In the few discussions we've had on the matter, we've decided that it would be best (for now) to avoid publication of anything involving profits.  I think the main issues were related to whose work would be included (with monetary compensation involved, it increases the likelihood of friction based on the perception that someone is being kept from making some money off their work), how compensation would work (blanket payment, or "royalty" type, distributed whenever a unit is sold), and whether it would even be worth it to divide revenue among 20+ contributing photographers.  If it costs $30 to have a book printed through an on-demand publisher and we sell it for $40, we'd be looking at $.50 or so per photographer per book.  Worth it? 

The consensus the last time we spoke about this was that if we do something like this, we do it with a markup and give the proceeds to a charitable cause (restoration of the main hangar at Coolidge was the plan when discussing a photo book about the Fly-Ins - that fell through because the group in charge of the restoration had secured funding in a manner that prohibits them from accepting any more funds from outside sources), or we do it as an at-cost venture that allows us to publish our work without having to deal with most of the issues above - whose photos get included being the obvious one we'll confront.

If there's some serious momentum behind doing a book or a calendar, I suggest we move the discussion into the members area. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ