News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

F-35 update

Started by David Loera, February 03, 2010, 04:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Loera

You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.
Chuck Yeager

David "Wiz" Loera
Mesa, AZ
All images © David Loera, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

What a mess.

How can they complain about a "degradation of commonality" when they are trying to make a single airframe fly three very different takeoff/landing profiles as three different variants?  They knew what they were getting themselves into.

And I can't understand why the Marines are so wedded to the STOVL concept, especially as manifested in the bizarre lift-fan modification, which really seems to be what is bogging this program down.  All those additional moving parts, all that space occupied by another engine that could be devoted instead to fuel or avionics, all that additional weight - if I'm not mistaken, that will lead to lighter combat loadouts and reduced combat radius - precisely what you don't want in a CAS platform if you're a ground commander that must rely on airpower for supporting fires.  It just doesn't seem like the aircraft the Marines would voluntarily choose to replace the Harrier AND the Hornet. 

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ