News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

SAM Publications using member photos without permission or credit.

Started by Joe Copalman, February 13, 2010, 08:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

Hey guys - Joe McGovern brought it to my attention last night that SAM Publications out of the UK printed several of his Harrier photos in their recent book on the AV-8B:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/sam-publications-airdata-3---us-marines-av-8b-harrier-ii-p20054.aspx

Jason Hyatt and I also have photos in this book without authorization or credit.

What is really idiotic is that a few of Joe's photos still have the Airliners.net watermark in them - in a published book.

Sadly, it gets worse.  They not only hit guys like us, but many USMC photos and a lot of Harry Gann's air-to-air stuff from back when he held my dream job of official photographer for McDonnell-Douglas. 

Joe sent an angry email to the publisher, but I'm not sure he has heard back.

Any ideas on what, if anything we can do?  Thanks.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

If you belive strongly enough that it's a battle worth fighting, find a copyright lawyer.

Don't Get Mad .. Get Even.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

jslugman

You could try to invoice them for the usage but if they're lifting directly off of A-net then they're likely not going to reply. Jay's right that the best way to pursue it involves a copyright lawyer.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

Thanks guys.  I'll try the invoice route first and see what that yields.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ