15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

High Country Warbirds Fly-In

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 11, 2009, 11:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Joe Copalman

I'm good with that.  It's a 3.5-4 hour drive up there, right? 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Joe Copalman on June 16, 2009, 07:23:33 PM
I'm good with that.  It's a 3.5-4 hour drive up there, right? 

That sounds about right.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Dave S.

Guys,

Looks like I'll be making this trip solo.  I've already booked a room in Flagstaff for Friday night.  Will get up early for the short drive to Valle Saturday morning.  Don't think I'll be able to make it all the way to Valle before sunset on Friday to catch any/some arrivals.

Have you gotten and additional feedback from POF?  Let me know what/where you decide for a meeting spot.

Dave
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Joe Copalman

Awesome Dave, see you up there.

As far as a meeting place, I'm sure the ramp at the POF museum is going to be where most of the action is.  Maybe as we get closer and have a relatively accurate headcount, we can talk to the museum folks and see if we can get access closer to the runway.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

photorecon

Hi guys, Last year the ramp was a good spot to shoot from. POF keeps the hot ramp closed but you can get very close to the aircraft, in standard POF form the aircraft taxi past very close to the fence line,
about 10-20 feet infront and taxi back head on to the POF ramp area. After the show they do open the hot ramp area,got some good shots as most people were gone by 3:00 PM.  Two ways to get in to the show
one enter the POF or enter in from the main Valle Airport terminal it looked as if some people were entering from the airport terminal side. POF charges,I do not mind paying as it goes to fund this show.
However some of the people entering from the airport were going into the rear hanger doors of POF.??????
The aircraft were up all day and they play to the camera line LOTS of good photo Passes. Oh well see you guys at the event. I am heading out early Sat and will be going to Flag and on Hyw 180 to Valle as it ends right at POF and the ride is nice that way. About 200- 400  people and 4 aircraft flying no local warbirds small show but sometimes it's better that way.
Joseph D. Kates

wingsnstuff

Susie (my wife) and I plan to head up either Saturday morning or possibly Friday afternoon, depending on workload.  I'm in Virginia until Wednesday evening so will have some catching up to do when I get back.  See you all there regardless of what day we leave.

photorecon

Did any one else see this from the Az Republic?  It says some P-38's are to show up and a new P-38 display will be opened at the Valle, AZ  location on Sat that will be cool.http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/06/24/20090624planes0626.html
Joseph D. Kates

Joe Copalman

Mr. Kates, this is outstanding news!

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

photorecon

Joseph D. Kates

photorecon

Some more info on the possible P-38's coming to Valle looks like one will come, if this group raises enough funds for a ride a long in a cramped (Hell they could put me in a travel pod and I would still go up) P-38 for $2000 a person????
However the article from the AZ republic see post above says P-38's are coming so we will have to see. read the link to find out more.

http://p38assn.org/meeting09/meeting09.htm
Joseph D. Kates

Dave S.

Hey gents,

Realizing that I have a schedule conflict between my wife leaving town for business and my daughter's first soccer game on Saturday; I have to bow out of this show.  Take some good pics and have a great time.

I was really looking forward to sporting my new AzAP shirt that's due to arrive in the mail tomorrow.

Dave
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Joe Copalman

TBunce over on Fencecheck says the POF's P-38 won't be making an appearance due to a mechanical problem, but in its stead they're sending a P-51 and a Corsair.  Still should be good.  Weather is looking nice in terms of sunlight too, at least until after noon.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

That's too bad, I was really looking forward to seeing a P-38!  Oh well, the P-51 is always a great plane, and it'll be nice to see a Corsair too.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.