Honda Jet .. Oshkosh 2011

Started by Jay Beckman, August 05, 2011, 12:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Beckman

They flew the Honda Jet as part of the pre-airshow showcase on 25 July...

On The Roll

Rotate

Nice Photo Pass

Dirty and Slow

Rolling Out

Face Time With The Masses

All shot with: 1DMkIV + 300mm f/2.8L IS .. 1/750 @ f/6.7 ISO 100
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Good stuff, Jay.  Most of the shots I've seen make it look like the engines are blended into the fuselage, but your front-oblique shows they're clearly not.  Pretty cool.  Like a hybrid of the Phenom and the old VFW 614.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

The engines remind me of the Skyflash missile rails that used to mount above the wing on Jaguars (?)

I think they borrowed a page from the A-10 designers to help avoid FOD and make maintenance easier.  It also lowers the stance of the jet quite a bit so they don't need a complex entry door.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

Yeah, the Jag and the Lightning both had overwing pylons for fuel tanks, but I think only the Jaguar used it for missles (AIM-9s only though, as I don't think the Jaguars were cleared for radar-guided missiles.  Also, the Sparrow/Skyflash was dropped before the engine ignited, rather than rail-launched like the Sidewinder). 

Here's a shot of the VFW 614 if you haven't seen one before.  Pretty cool-looking, actually: http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/images/models/vfw-614-1.jpg
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I knew you'd straighten me out on the Skyflash thing...

Linky no Workie by the way.   :'(
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Ryan Keough

The other reason for the wing pylon mounted engines instead of fuselage mount is to reclaim the aft part of the fuselage for a fully enclosed lavatory and more baggage space.  Light jets of the same size with fuselage pylon engines also have a lot of passthrough vibration and noise that is significantly less on the HondaJet.  Keep in mind that the engines on N420HA are the earlier testbed HF118 engines while the conforming prototype (the silver and white one) has the production GE/Honda HF120 engines that provide the promised performance and efficiency that HJ has always set as a benchmark. 

A brief but good overview on the general design rationale of the HondaJet from J. Mac McClellan can be read at: http://mac.fltplan.com/2011/01/07/hondajet-fights-engine-drag/

Great shots Jay!
Ryan Keough
Tucson, AZ

Jay Beckman

Thanks for the added info Ryan.  The whole aft fuselage pass through thing makes perfect sense.

Personally, I was just glad to see it in the air rather than sitting in a tent where it's been the previous two years!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

cpasley

I wonder if they are going to come out with an "Si" version, maybe with afterburners...........