News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

New lens

Started by Paul Dumm, January 07, 2010, 04:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Dumm

I was looking at getting a new lens soon, a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8. well it now seems the nikon came out with a new model for this at an $400-$500 price jump. I seen that some of you out there use Simga lenses. How do you like them and what kind do you have??  any info/help would be great.
Thanks.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Joe Copalman

Talk to Matt Ottosen.  He has a Sigma 150-500 for Nikon bodies.

I have the 150-500 for Canons and I love it.  Price was just shy of $900 when I got mine - it was either this or another $400 or so for the Canon 100-400L, and I opted for the extra 100mms and the more effective image stablization.  I think shot-for-shot, the Canon would have been a little sharper, but comparing my shots with a lot of shots taken through the 100-400, I'm really not seeing that much of a difference.  And I've gotten some good shots in the 400-450mm range that I would have had to crop more with the Canon.

Biggest downside is that you're 150mm at your widest, so if you're a poor one-body mongrel like me, you have to really plan out your closer-up shots and stay on top of your panning to keep stuff in frame.  You'll notice at Coolidge that I tend to back up a bit more than most folks, it's mostly because of that.

Hope this helps.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Joe Copalman on January 07, 2010, 04:41:24 PM
Talk to Matt Ottosen.  He has a Sigma 150-500 for Nikon bodies.

I have the 150-500 for Canons and I love it.  Price was just shy of $900 when I got mine - it was either this or another $400 or so for the Canon 100-400L, and I opted for the extra 100mms and the more effective image stablization.  I think shot-for-shot, the Canon would have been a little sharper, but comparing my shots with a lot of shots taken through the 100-400, I'm really not seeing that much of a difference.  And I've gotten some good shots in the 400-450mm range that I would have had to crop more with the Canon.

Biggest downside is that you're 150mm at your widest, so if you're a poor one-body mongrel like me, you have to really plan out your closer-up shots and stay on top of your panning to keep stuff in frame.  You'll notice at Coolidge that I tend to back up a bit more than most folks, it's mostly because of that.

Hope this helps.

I agree, best bang for the buck!!

I have had a few issues with mine, but I think it was due to dust getting into the contacts while shooting on the side of the road during  a Red Flag.  Once I broke the lens/body contact everything was working fine again.  I have also heard of other Nikon D90 owners having the same problem that I had while using their Nikkor lenses, that might point to a Nikon D90 problem (instead of a Nikon/Sigma problem).
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.