Signing prints - what to use?

Started by Joe Copalman, January 28, 2014, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

I have a client asking for a signed print.  I'm more than happy to oblige, but want to make sure I'm using something that can a)be seen, and b)won't bleed or break down the print around the area that's signed.  Any idea what is best in a case like this?  Would a Sharpie suffice?  Paint marker?  Any tips would be appreciated. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Scott Youmans

Joe, I've used the silver paint type Sharpies (or similar) but my favorite method is to scan a nicely done signature and apply it directly on the photo before I print it.  Sometimes I leave it on a separate layer to leave the option of using it or not or resizing it depending on the final size of the print. I can accurately control the size, placement, color, density, etc and I don't screw up 10 prints getting the signature to look right!  Not quite as personal but I've seen a lot of otherwise nice prints made into garbage by a sloppy signature.  If the buyer really wants it autographed you don't have that option. I have a number of nice mats with botched signatures that I might as well chuck for the same reason.  Maybe I just need to improve my penmanship!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved