WATERMARKS - Yes or No?

Started by Jeff D. Welker, June 25, 2013, 07:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

I have been struggling with the issue of watermarks this year. Frankly, I've been struggling with a bunch of things this year - but I digress  ;D

I hate putting watermarks on my images. I think they are distracting at best and completely nuke the image at worst. Nevertheless, I generally use watermarks. I guess I feel compelled, or paranoid, or unprofessional, or naked before the world without a watermark - I'm not 100% sure. I've been contemplating using the "Creative Commons License" method as an alternative, but I've yet to commit. I know many photographers anxiously check the web (especially Facebook) for unauthorized postings of their images. It appears that most of the "stolen" images originally had a watermark; however, that apparently did not deter the theft. Heck, I've even had a few of my images posted without my permission.

As a side note, when it comes to my photographs they always seem to take an image I could not care less about - an image that I generally don't consider my best work. I would have let them have it without question. What does this say about my sense of aesthetics or theirs? Again, I digress  ;D

Here is a short thought provoking article on the subject https://plus.google.com/105237212888595777019/posts/MJc8wvZ6KHk

What are your thoughts on watermarking? No right or wrong - just opinions.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

I've never been a fan of watermarks.  Mustache on the Mona Lisa as far as I'm concerned.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

I've gone back and forth on this one.  I prefer to see my own photos, or any for that matter, without them.  The watermark I typically use really wouldn't deter anyone as it would be easy enough to simply cut off the bottom of the photo!  So why have I been using them? I suppose it's mainly just to let people know that I care whether or not they show up in places I don't want them too. It also serves as a reminder of who took the photo months or years down the line when they are all mixed up with other photographs on someone's hard drive. Frankly if someone wants to use one as a background on their monitor or as part of their personal screen saver it's fine with me.  If someone is making money off of it that's a different matter altogether.  I've had a few show up here and there but so far it hasn't been in a place that I cared too much about. Some of them were used in places that were actually advantageous and they did credit the photos to me.  Interesting topic.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved