Retina Display question

Started by Chris Janes, November 19, 2012, 11:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Janes

I just purchased a MacBook Pro with the Retina display. I have lightroom 3.6 and discovered that 3.6 is not compatible with the new display, so my pics just don't look right.  I decided to use iphoto and the pics look awesome, the sharpest I have ever seen with almost no editing. Problem now is that I put them on Flickr to post here and they look nothing like they did in iPhoto, worse than what lightroom was displaying. I'm wondering if this is because of the new display or the conversion to jpeg? Still the jpeg looks awesome in iPhoto. A new Thunderbolt display is on the xmas list but now I'm wondering if that will help or hinder photo editing. Also if any mac users can point me in the right direction on guides for general mac use that would be great. I can fumble my way through most stuff but get stumped occasionally. 

Jay Beckman

What are your jpeg export settings with regard to color space?

Be sure you're outputting in sRGB for web display.

Also, are you hardware calibrating the new screen?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chris Janes

Hi Jay,
The only thing I'm finding is there is an option for low, medium, and maximum. Thats in iPhoto. I didn't look in lightroom, the images are vastly different between the two programs even before doing any editing.

I didn't see sRGB setting in iPhoto, it is set in lightroom.

I have not hardware calibrated the new screen.

The help section in iphoto recommends getting Aperture for processing raw files. I'm hoping an upgrade to Lightroom with retina display support will help. Have to wait on that for a little bit I took an a$$ beating at the tables in Vegas last week.....HAHA! Thought about trying to Pawn the laptop at the Pawn Stars shop

Jay Beckman

Well, internally, Lightroom is natively profotoRGB.  Don't know about Aperture though.

I don't recall seeing too many mentions of huge differences in appearance between the two programs but I have to admit I don't know too many folks who are actually using both.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Chris Janes

Figured out the problem. I had to turn off the Retina display optimization. Even your photos were bit a blurred with the Retina display optimized.  Now they all look fine.
Thanks for the help.
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Jay Beckman

Glad you figured it out.

Happy TGiving to you as well.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com