News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Sensor cleaning at Tempe Camera

Started by Joe Copalman, October 22, 2012, 12:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

I just dropped my 50D off at Tempe Camera for a sensor cleaning in advance of the El Centro trip and Copperstate this week, and was told that they no longer charge the $35 flat rate, but have moved to an estimate-based system instead.  I was told that this shouldn't impact the price too much, but I'll post an update once I hear back from them with the estimate.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Just heard back with the estimate.  $35 for just the sensor.  Apparently they check for other issues - for instance, the shutter release on my 50D is a bit sluggish, so they recommended getting that repaired - which is actually something I like.  The one drawback is that it adds more time to the process, but they still have a fairly quick turnaround.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

Why not just clean your own sensor? It's easy to do.

I get the additional checkup, but is it really needed? Your pics look great.

I'll be cleaning my sensors tomorrow evening in anticipation of El Centro. I've accumulated a few dust spots.

S.C.

Joe Copalman

You mean like take the lens off, point the body-hole toward the ground, and slap the back of my camera like a stubborn ketchup bottle to try and beat the dust off the sensor?

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Joe Copalman on October 23, 2012, 08:30:27 AM
You mean like take the lens off, point the body-hole toward the ground, and slap the back of my camera like a stubborn ketchup bottle to try and beat the dust off the sensor?

;D
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

scottcolbath

Oh my. I pulled out the 5D body to clean the sensor just now. It has a couple small dust specks I wanted to remove. I did the normal opening the shutter, give it a blow and close it. I now have about 20 times the dust on the lens.

Stupid me, we have the windows open all the time now and the house is filled with dust all the time. I guess I'll pass on touching the 7D until I can find a clean room.  ;D

S.C.

Joe Copalman

Did you hold the body cavity downward and blow up into it? 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

Quote from: Joe Copalman on October 23, 2012, 06:45:41 PM
Did you hold the body cavity downward and blow up into it? 

Yup. Didn't matter. All I did was create a low pressure area around the blower nose which sucked dust up into the sensor area.

I hit it with a wet swab, and that improved it, but it still needs to be done in a dust free environment. I'll bring my gear to work. It's very dust free there.

S.C.

Jay Beckman

<--- Uses Copperhill system for APS-H bodies...

(Wand you order is sensor size dependent)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

FelipeG

Quote from: Jay Beckman on October 23, 2012, 11:35:26 PM
<--- Uses Copperhill system for APS-H bodies...

(Wand you order is sensor size dependent)

The one that includes the famous Eclipse fluid?

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

FelipeG

Cool. I need to give that a try, since the last fluid I bought (Opteka) worked but it evaporated quickly from the bottle (and now I need FF swabs too)