Bearcat scanner for aircraft

Started by Chris Kennedy, October 16, 2012, 08:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Kennedy

I'm not sure when this actually came out, but Uniden now has a relatively inexpensive portable scanner that receives both civilian and military aircraft frequencies. It's the BC125AT and it lists for $149.99. It looks like it's available for less than that though.

http://www.uniden.com/scanners/500-alpha-tagged-channel-bearcat-handheld-scanner/invt/bc125atg/

A brief review here:  http://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-receiver-equipment-reviews/235119-uniden-bc125at-first-impressions.html

Unlike a lot of scanners it does come with a cable to connect it to a computer for programming. I'm not sure if it comes with software though. You don't need to use the computer to program it anyway, it's just easier.

I don't have any specific knowledge about this unit, but I have been using Uniden Bearcat scanners for many years and they've always worked well for me.

If you are looking for a scanner that will also monitor local emergency services radio systems, this isn't it. It can't monitor the sophisticated digital systems that are used by most cities these days.

Like any scanner, a lot depends on what you want to use it for. For just aircraft, civilian and military, this looks good to me.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Jeff D. Welker

Thanks for making this post Chris. I have been talking about getting my own scanner for a couple of years now and I'm finally ready to get off the pot and make a purchase. I have a few follow-up questions:

1.  Do you find most scanners benefit from replacing the stock antenna? If yes, what do you recommend?

2.  What ear piece would you recommend for a handheld scanner? In my old age, I think hearing the transmissions clearly would be enhanced if I used an ear piece.

3.  If $200 is my budget (not including a replacement antenna & ear piece), what other scanners would you recommend besides this new Bearcat?

Is there a good store locally where I can check out these scanners before purchase? BTW, I'm only interested in using this for aircraft - civilian and military.

Many thanks Chris.

PS - Does the RadioShack PRO164 work for aircraft - civilian and military? If yes, how do you compare it to the BC125AT?

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chris Kennedy

1. For aircraft use, the stock antenna should work fine. Unless you are pretty close to the airport (within a mile or so), you're not going to hear the tower's part of a conversation on a hand-held scanner no matter what antenna you have. If you are at the airport you should be able to hear everything except possibly the planes that are way out. I replaced the antenna on my main scanner with one that is smaller and more flexible than the stock one just because it's easier to handle that way. The particular antenna that I have would not fit that scanner due to the type of connector it has.

2. I use the earphones at the following link. I used to use just the cheapy single-ear earphones but they kept falling out and were uncomfortable after only a short time. This two-ear set is very comfortable (I've worn them for hours without any problem) and it has flexible memory wire that goes over your ear to hold it in place. It also comes with various sizes of the tip that goes in your ear, so it works pretty well to block out external noise. Also, the wires end up behind your back so they're out of the way. The only problem is that when you are wearing both earpieces it's kind of hard to hear people talking. I sometimes only use one earpiece if I'm at a place where it isn't too noisy, for that reason. They come in different colors too.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-CL-MEE-Noise-Isolating-Headphones-Memory/dp/B0038W0K2U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350484388&sr=1-2&keywords=mee+headphones

3. This is the only scanner I know of for this kind of price ($120.74 on Amazon right now, although it's from one of Amazon's outside sellers) that receives military aircraft frequencies.

The only store I know of in the area where you might be able to try something out is Ham Radio Outlet in Phoenix. However, I don't know if they carry this scanner or not. That store is pretty much for hard core radio amateurs so they aren't really oriented toward scanners, especially the less expensive ones like this. You might give them a call though. I have bought scanners from their San Diego store, but I've never been to this one. 10613 North 43rd Avenue Phoenix, (602) 242-3515

I did find a reference on a blog about CB radios to a store called Apollo Communications at 4322 W Northern, Glendale. 623-939-2240. I don't know anything about it or even if it's still there. The blog post was a couple of years old. Stores that sell CB's usually sell scanners too.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Thanks for all the great information Chris.

Although my wife is an Amazon power user, I'm one of those guys that likes to literally handle things before I buy them - if possible. I called both locations you noted in Phoenix and neither carry the BC125AT. If I go with this unit, I'll need to order it from one of the numerous online sources. Normally that would be OK, but I wanted to have something (if possible) for my Friday trip to Yuma. I've really enjoyed listening to Ned's and Joe's scanners, but I think they are getting tired of me pretending they are mine  ;D

The RadioShack in Gilbert has one of their PRO164 units in stock. While it is priced slightly above my $200 budget, I can make it work financially if it is a good unit for aviation - civilian and military. Unfortunately, I don't know frequencies from fur balls and can't tell from the online specs if it works for aviation and I don't trust those kids at RadioShack to give me the straight scoop. What say ye about the PRO164?
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

FelipeG

Jeff,

I have the Pro-97, which is almost the same (in fact, looks the same, the only differences are somewhere in the board/firmware). If its only for aviation, that scanner is overkill, as it's a trunking scanner. You can listen to any airport radio system that is Motorola, EDACS or LTR trunked, same for police (although I think most of the Valley is P25 Digital now). If you're interested in any of those, well, go for it, but if you only want it for aircraft comms, save the extra money.

That unit is manufactured by GRE, and both of my GRE made scanners I've found them to be durable, easy to use and not too expensive.

Uniden scanners tend to have a much better display (I also have a Pro-162, which was manufactured by Uniden), not as easy to use as the GRE (could be because they operate in a completely different manner and I was used to GREs), but the display is so much nicer.

Aviation comms are on 108-136 MHz for civilian/military, and military only are around 224-380 (RR lists frequencies somewhere around 228, 372 and in between, so my logic is that they use the 224-380 block, since 380-406 is normally used by TV and TETRA systems).

Also, you might want to check either Fry's Electronics or Ham Radio Outlet (or check their website to see if they carry it, HRO might not), I have seen Uniden scanners for sale at Fry's, so you should check.

Chris Kennedy

I agree with Felipe that the Pro-164 is overkill, but it does receive military (and civilian) air. I don't know anything else about it. I think it's somewhat larger than the BC125.

For reference, military air frequencies are 225-380 mHz.

Pretty much any scanner will monitor civilian air frequencies (118-136 mHz).

I haven't found anyplace locally that has the BC125, at least from what I can determine on the web.

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

Joe Copalman

This conversation brings up an important question.  The scanner I use does not get military frequencies, but I do get quite a bit of traffic on the civilian tower frequencies used by military ATC, and it's generally enough to allow me to position myself to get the shot I want. 

What am I missing by not having access to these frequencies? 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

You'd be "deaf" at military facilities that aren't either co-located with civilian ops or that don't share any ATC responsibilities with a civilian facility.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

So, Edwards, China Lake, and . . .

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Chris Kennedy

I'm pretty sure that all military airports do have VHF (civilian) radio capability, with frequencies listed in the Airport/Facility Directory. Luke does, El Centro does, Edwards does. They may or may not simulcast the tower transmissions on both military and civilian frequencies. Luke usually does simulcast them. The reason they simulcast on both bands is so aircraft that are listening will know the controller is talking on another frequency and not to try to call him. Even the pure military fields sometimes get civilian traffic that needs to transit through the control zone. I know that at Luke they sometimes get police and medical helicopters calling on VHF.

So, if you are at a military airport listening to the VHF tower frequency, you might be able to hear the tower, just not the aircraft he is talking to, if the aircraft is on UHF (military).
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

Paul Dumm

It's my understanding that willie uses both.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Joe Copalman

Thanks for the clarification, Chris.  I've verified that Yuma simulcasts as well, and I think my civvie-band scanner has worked at El Centro too.  You are correct that I do not get the pilots side of conversations with military aircraft, but usually the tower side provides enough context for me to know if I'm in the right spot, if I need to move, or if I've once again missed the damned Hind completely, damning Welker and Ned to share in my fate.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

I almost made a knee-jerk purchase at RadioShack yesterday. Unfortunately for them, upon opening the box I found that the scanner was damaged - I refused purchase. When I got home my neighbor was working in his lawn and we got to talking. When I complained to him about finding a scanner at a reasonable price locally, he surprised me with an unexpected offer. This past Christmas, his father-in-law gave him a scanner. Problem is my neighbor has no need for the scanner and it has remained in his closet for the past 10 months. He has been looking to sell it and asked if I was interested. To make a long story short, I am now the proud owner of a Uniden BCD396XT; whatever that means. The deal was sealed when I confirmed it works with civilian and military frequencies. Since I told him my budget was $200, that is what I paid. I think I got a bargain but that just may be my wishful thinking.

The box includes a disk and connector for programming via computer. Unfortunately, I don't think it works on my iMac, so I'll need to break out my old Lenovo laptop and try programing it that way. I've tried reading the online manual during my lunch and have a headache from that effort. Once I get it programmed, the real fun should begin. Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments. If you have any suggestions for making the programming easier, let me know.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Chris Kennedy

You got a great deal. That's Uniden's top of the line portable. It goes for about $450. That's essentially the one I have (or one of them). Mine is the earlier version called the BCD396T. It will pick up every kind of radio there is except cell phones and encrypted radios, which are unfortunately used by a lot of police and federal agencies these days.

You don't actually need to connect it to a computer for simple programming of a few aircraft frequencies. What's complicated are the trunked systems used by police and fire around here. Since you don't plan to monitor those, you can just enter the aviation frequencies manually.

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ