News:

In Memory of David Loera
1974 - 2024

Main Menu

Wheel chocks

Started by scottcolbath, June 26, 2012, 11:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

I'm tired of looking at ugly wheel chocks used on the various aircraft we shoot. I was talking to Joe about this at the CAF shoot.

I'd like to buy some of our own chocks that are a suitable size, as to not be wider than the plane's wheels, and not so tall that they jump out at you when looking at the pic.They would be black, so they blend in with the tires.

What would be some good dimensions for these, considering the variation in the size of tires we seeon the planes we shoot? There are tons of them available on the internet  for not a lot of money.

Anyone else feel the same as me about this?

S.C.

Joe Copalman

Chocks don't bug me too much, as they kind of come with the territory.  It's not a bad idea to have a few sets of "photo-friendly" chocks on-hand, but that's assuming that the owners of the aircraft we are shooting are open to using them for a shoot.  Another thing to keep in mind is that chocks are wider than the tires for a reason - to allow leverage to get them un-stuck.  Perhaps you can drill holes through the length of them for a long iron bar to make up for this? 

Not a bad idea.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

Quote from: Joe Copalman on June 26, 2012, 11:22:45 AM
Chocks don't bug me too much, as they kind of come with the territory.

Think oustide the box dude.  8)

It's not a bad idea to have a few sets of "photo-friendly" chocks on-hand, but that's assuming that the owners of the aircraft we are shooting are open to using them for a shoot.

I don't see why they would have anything against it. Let's face it. These planes are rolled out for us, on level ground, typically in fair weather. We really don't even need chocks. The planes aren't going anywhere. That being said, of course they should be used, for the safety of the aircraft and everyone around it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that chocks are wider than the tires for a reason - to allow leverage to get them un-stuck.  Perhaps you can drill holes through the length of them for a long iron bar to make up for this?

Sure, we could do something like that, but since the aircraft will usually be gently placed for us, the chances that they will end up pressing hard against the chocks are slim. Even if they do press hard against one, the other will not be pressured nearly as much, if at all. Pull the easy one first, then the other will pop out when the aircraft is moved half an inch.

Not a bad idea.

You mentioned putting AzAp decals on them. We could try that as well.

I'm going to poke around and see what I like. I'll grab a set and we can play with this idea.

S.C.