News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

AH-64 Apache

Started by Joe Copalman, July 21, 2009, 12:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tower Guy

Great shot Joe, perfect framing by the dust cloud before it enveloped the copter, great timing!

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Tower Guy on March 22, 2016, 07:30:17 PM
Great shot Joe, perfect framing by the dust cloud before it enveloped the copter, great timing!

Thanks Harvey!

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Very cool shot Joe, where did you shoot this from? When I worked on the ranges at Gila Bend, we would find these casings all over the TAC ranges.

Joe Copalman

Thanks Harvey.  This was out at Range 3, the one on the east side of the 85.  I went out there with a Brit Apache pilot who was trained as a range officer.  They do this because there are some differences in the terminology used by Brit and US range controllers ('Cleared Green' vs 'Cleared Hot') being one example, and with these being student pilots, it's just easier for the Brit instructors to pull double-duty as range officers than to have the students learn an entirely new vocabulary, especially when live ordnance is involved.

I thought going out to the range for this article would have yielded some great shots, with Apaches hovering close to the tower and engaging the 'rag' targets with the 30mm.  Instead, it was A LOT of watching a very distant Apache engaging a tactical target that was even further away.  The only time they came close was on the one offset-while-moving gun pass they made as part of their first live-fire serial.  It gave me something to tell the story, so it wasn't a total waste of a trip, but it was certainly different than I thought it would be.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

tajmahal250

Bjorn van der Flier

Bjorn van der Flier
Editor Showreports Scramble Magazine
-----------------------------------------
PO Box 75545
1118 ZN Schiphol
The Netherlands
E-mail: Bjorn.van.der.flier@scramble.nl
        Showreports@scramble.nl

Internet: www.scramble.nl

Bjorn van der Flier

Bjorn van der Flier
PO Box 75545
1118 ZN Schiphol
The Netherlands
        Showreports@scramble.nl

Tower Guy

Great shots of the Apaches Bjorn, that crew member actually looks pretty comfortable.

Bjorn van der Flier

Quote from: Tower Guy on October 17, 2019, 11:57:54 AM
Great shots of the Apaches Bjorn, that crew member actually looks pretty comfortable.

Thanks Harvey, yes that pilot does look quiote relaxed, bored, but relaxed
Bjorn van der Flier
PO Box 75545
1118 ZN Schiphol
The Netherlands
        Showreports@scramble.nl