Which Version - Monochrome v. Color

Started by Jeff D. Welker, November 17, 2012, 05:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

Comrades - I would appreciate your input on this image. As you can see, I've processed it as both monochrome and color. I like both for different reasons. My Ansel addiction has me leaning towards the monochrome version; however, the color has merit also. Please take a moment to tell me which you prefer and why. I'm confident that understanding your way of "seeing" this image will be instructive to me. BTW, this is one of my last shots of the day at our October photocall at El Centro. Thanks.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Dave S.

Jeffe,

I like both processes.  As you said, both have their own merits.  If I had to pick one, I would favor the color version.  The gradient across the sky (left to right) from orange/red to blue somehow compliments/balances the position/layout of the color of the Hornet up top balanced with the similar colors from the runway (and a bit from the mountains) at the bottom.

Not sure if the above makes any sense, as I try to translate from my brain to the keyboard, but it's my $0.02.

- Dave

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Joe Copalman

Y'know, it's a shame to let that gorgeous color go to waste, but I'm more drawn to the monochrome version, as the tones span from black to white without being a "goalpost" shot - so many shades of gray in between.  There seem to be a few natural gradients at work (top to bottom, left to right, lower left to upper right) that are more obvious in the monochrome version as well.  Both are solid and I can understand why you asked for others to make the call on this one. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Thanks Dave and Joe for the feedback - super observations. It is definitely a tough choice for me and I'm grateful to get feedback. Like both of you, the multiple gradients mother nature has going on are revealed differently in monochrome v. color. Even though I have an almost natural disposition for all images in monochrome, the color version keeps me on the fence.

I hope more of our colleagues will opine.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Jeff, I wrote this earlier this morning but somehow never hit "post".

I first looked at the two versions on an iPod, very small, and favored the color version.  Now I'm seeing them larger on an iPad and am favoring the monochrome. Due to the peculiarities of the iPad they display in a cropped condition, some width missing. Kind of like it with a little tighter crop with the Hornet more to the right but that's a minor point.  And now you have six cents.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Thanks for the feedback Scott; your opinion is certainly valued. The crop was a tough one for me. I don't have much width cropping in the final image - mostly top/bottom due the 2:1 ratio. I ended up keeping the Hornet in its position as shown due to the trail of dirty exhaust that can be seen (albeit faintly) in the color version. It disappears in the monochrome - I had hoped for the opposite when processing.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Understand the difficulty in making such choices. Sometimes I think I've made all the correct decisions only to find that despite logic I like another crop better.  More often than not I use a largely "eyeballed" approach to cropping, disregarding any standard aspect ratio.  The intended result being some sort of harmonious balance between the positive and negative space.  The rule of thirds comes into play sometimes though I try not to let that get in my way if it isn't appropriate for whatever reason.  It's fun to use the right side of my brain.  Lots of empty space to run around in.  Same applies to the left side but I try not to let it be too obvious.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Tower Guy

Jeff, from an amateurs point of view, the "Ansel" effect with the monochrome is my favorite, a tack sharp B & W just "seems" to be sharper, it somehow "seems" classic also. Just one old man's opinion, great shot in either choice.  Also, if you roll the picture up to where the F18 is no longer visible, to grays of the distant mountains are a cool subject in themselves compared to the color version.

Scott Youmans

Jeff, I can see why you wanted to keep the smoke trail in the color version.  Creates a nice arc down and to the right.  I like the purple mountains in color version but almost to the point where the Hornet becomes a distraction.  Photography is a little like marriage.  Often a need for compromise.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

One point of clarification.  When I mention compromise, I mean with respect to the internal decision making process.  Not with respect to taking into account what others might like.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved