News:

In Memory of David Loera
1974 - 2024

Main Menu

Unusual Crop Ratios

Started by Jeff D. Welker, June 18, 2012, 10:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

I like to play with different crop ratios in the hopes that proper framing will enhance a particular image. One of my ISAP acquaintances posted an image on another forum with a 2.39:1 crop ratio. As the dumbest one in the room, I'd never heard of a 2.39:1 ratio. She said it was something Scott Kelby recommended in his presentation at ISAP XI. Since I was not there, I'm not sure why he recommended this particular ratio and what other crop ratios were discussed (maybe Jay can chime in). None the less, I gave this a try on two recent images.

Tanker 911 turning onto final at KIWA. The tanker made this turn out beyond the reach of my 100-400L and I could not realistically get a good "full frame" image. Accordingly, I thought that leaving the tanker small and offsetting it may produce a nice composition. As you may have noticed, I sometimes like to offset images and thought this crop ratio may help enhance the composition.

This is Tanker 911 a few moments later on final into KIWA. I wanted to see if the 2.39:1 crop ratio would help emphasize the long wingspan on the DC10. Because of the angle of approach in relationship to my camera position, the front third of the fuselage is not centered in the image. In this case, I'm not sure if the crop ratio helps or hurts this imbalance.

Your comments and suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jay Beckman

I know it probably won't sell much because it's such an unusual aspect ratio but I've become a fan of the "Cinemascope" framing...

My 10TAC 911 at 2.39:1

A little T/S Oddity

Stang framed similarly

I guess I think my 10TAC fits a little better because it's more head on.  I see your point about feeling "imbalanced" but it's not really all that jarring, I don't think...

For your "off in the distance" shot, I might crop it in a little closer.  That one feels more "off" to me because of all the dead space.  If there was more drama in the sky (Monsoon Clouds, UFO, Bigfoot...) I might leave that much but just empty clear, blue and a million I don't feel supports the subject as well.  Just my $0.02...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jeff D. Welker

^^^^ Thanks Jay for the great comments. I understand what you mean about all the dead air space on the left of 911. I'll try a tighter crop and hope the image doesn't degrade badly. Other than pasting in a nude  image of Joe taking a photograph on his stomach, I can't find much drama in this typical Arizona sky that will help balance the composition  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Paul Dumm

I'll Play too.

Jeff, I'm not a fan of placeing the Aircraft in the center of the photo. I like to try useing the rule of thirds when I can. You photo makes it look like the VLAT is flying out of the photo and I like that.
Yea, Yea I can hear some of you all now, but the bluk of the F/A-18 is going to the left third and IMHO that counts.  ;D
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Jay Beckman

I'm ok with cutting off the vertical tails but I think I'd shove the framing over so the bulk of the plane were in the right third where it has the left third to move into...

The "Cinemascope" framing really puts your eyes on the blowers!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Paul Dumm

Wish I could Jay, But this is working with the best I could get as I was on one knee and about to fall over, plus Scott C. was in the frame on the left.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."