Camera straps.......What haz you?

Started by scottcolbath, March 27, 2012, 12:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

My smugmug straps are OK, considering they were free, but I need better.

What are you folks out there using, beyond a common type of camera strap?

The BlackRapid RS-Sport Extreme looks like an interesting option, but I don't know if I could get used to the camera hanging upside down, though I do like the idea of not having two straps coming up on either side of the camera body.

Opinions?

S.C.

Jay Beckman

Pretty sure both Ned and Jeff use the two camera dual Black Rapid harnesses.

I've considered one myself but have yet to decide because I find I like to often set the camera down entirely so for now, I have Optech straps on both bodies and on my 300 and 500.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jeff D. Welker

Like Jay said, I have the BlackRapid double strap and RS-Sport. Both are great designs; however, I don't use the double strap that much anymore. Too much weight to carry with long lenses. I almost strictly us the RS-Sport anymore. Like Jay, I often set my camera down completely if I'm not moving around and just shooting passing aircraft - like at El Centro or Coolidge. I've got a Canon CPS strap that looks great also, I've just not figured how to attach it to my camera yet  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Paul Dumm

BlackRapid double, but it spends most of the time as one strap. The only time I used it as a double was at El Centro and Yuma.  If your going to get one get the sport as my non- sport seem to ride around alittle.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

scottcolbath

So none of you object to a camera hanging upside down?

S.C.

Ned Harris

Scott: I use the Black Rapid RS-7 strap and am very happy with it.
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Jay Beckman

Quote from: scottcolbath on March 27, 2012, 08:37:02 PM
So none of you object to a camera hanging upside down?

S.C.

Don't worry, the pictures won't fall out...   :D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Bill

I use a Carry Speed, which is a Black Rapid clone at less than half the price. I can't tell the difference in the strap and neither can anyone else who has looked at it. Available on Ebay and Amazon. The only difference is the mount that screws into the camera's tripod socket. Black Rapid uses a screw with a loop that the strap attaches to while Carry Speed uses a plate with a hole that the strap attaches to. The Carry Speed also comes with a safety strap that goes under your arm if you wish to use it.

Bill

bilwor

Scott: I use the Black Rapid RS-7 strap also and am very happy with it also. As far as the camera hanging upside down, when you pull it up to take a photo it swings to the upright position.
bill word
bill word
Tucson, AZ

scottcolbath

Thanks guys. I'm sold on this strap.

Jay, pics falling out was my biggest concern. Thanks for setting me straight.  ;D

S.C.

FelipeG

Quote from: Jay Beckman on March 27, 2012, 01:10:09 PM
I have Optech straps on both bodies and on my 300 and 500.

Are they comfortable for the weight? I'm thinking about replacing the Canon strap on my 7D for something that has a bit more padding, like the regular Optech, as it's not too good when I have a heavy lens on.

Jay Beckman

Quote from: FelipeG on March 28, 2012, 12:50:10 PM

Are they comfortable for the weight? I'm thinking about replacing the Canon strap on my 7D for something that has a bit more padding, like the regular Optech, as it's not too good when I have a heavy lens on.

I think they're extremely comfortable.  The only knock is that some folks think they're too "bouncy" but I like the fact they give a little bit when you move.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Paul Dumm

[/quote]

Very Comfortable to wear thanks to the fact that it crosses over form one shoulder to the other side and is not putting all that weight on your neck.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."