Kennedy Space Center / Cape Canaveral Air Force Station

Started by Joe Copalman, May 03, 2010, 10:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

OV-105 at rest in Orbiter Processing Facility 2.  The OPFs are where teams from United Space Alliance receive the shuttle upon its return and turn it around in preparation for its next flight.  Endeavour is scheduled to fly its final mission, and the final mission of the shuttle program, as STS-134, scheduled for a mid-November launch at the earliest.

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Atlantis all buttoned up at Launch Complex 39A as it awaits its final flight as STS-132, scheduled to launch on May 14th.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Firing console in the blockhouse at Launch Complex 5/6.  Red arrow pointing to the button that sent Alan Shepard and Gus Grissom up on their suborbital flights. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Tiles on Endeavour's nose showing re-entry marks.  To the far left is the nose cone made of reinforced carbon-carbon, and in the upper left are two tiles that have already been replaced.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

She looks "rode hard and put up wet". Great image Joe.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

Launch Complex 34, the scene of the launchpad fire that killed Gus Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chafee.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Another Pad 34 shot - seems to sum up the current administration's approach to manned spaceflight:

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

I was amazed at how many items were laying around with "Abandoned In Place" stenciled on them.  Some of the stuff that was still serviceable looked like they should have been abandoned in place.  The salt air down there really plays havoc on anything metal. Nice shots Joe. 

Did you get any shots of the "Walker's Feet" (the corner tracks)? 
Did you get to see the launch?

Chris Janes

Sad to see the shuttle program end. I remember staying up til 3 am as a kid to watch Columbia blast-off on the programs first launch. Seems back then there was a sense of great pride in being on top of the world and not accepting second place. Now we just dumb ourselves down.

Joe Copalman

What the underside of a space shuttle looks like:

Endeavour in Orbiter Processing Facility 2, being prepped for STS-134.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Unique angle on that Joe...

The only reason I miss going to Daytona anymore is the fact that I don't get my annual two days off in Florida in February.   :(
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Crawler that moved Atlantis to Pad 39A for its final mission last year.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

FAILURE WAS NOT AN OPTION

Firing Room 4 at the Launch Control Center.  Been sandbagging this one for a while, largely because it just sort of bums me out. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ