Met an F-16 pilot today

Started by scottcolbath, September 08, 2011, 01:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

For some reason I do not know, my VP decided it would be a good idea to bring in an F-16 pilot from Luke and tell us about his job, the base and talk about teamwork. OK. Fine with me.

Anyway, it was Capt. Evan Schonour. Real nice guy. He is an instructor. He told us all about bringing the F-35  to Luke and various other things.

Jay....As far as the aux field out near Morristown, they use that all the time and come down to 300-500 feet. There may be some good photo ops out there. He said that if they used just Luke for their instrument approach training and not the aux field, Luke would be saturated with traffic.

So, after Evan was done with his chat, a few of us hung around to talk more. He invited us out to spend an afternoon out there checking out all the stuff people don't  normally get to do. We will be taking him up on that offer for sure.

S.C.

Joe Copalman

*cough*SIMULATOR*cough*

Too bad O'Rear isn't going to be available.  He could educate you on the finer points of attracting IR missiles and how to fly at -20ft. AGL.

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

Funny you mention the simulator. That was the first thing this guy offered up to us. I have been on a simulator before. It was cool, but I'm not a pilot and I'd just ram the aircraft into the dirt.

Personally, I'd like to see the room where they run the jet engines at full tilt.

S.C.

Jay Beckman

Willing to donate vital organs for some sim time...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Ditto.  That sim was was a hugely good time.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

I will ask about bringing in "outsiders". This guy was cool. Hopefully he will let a few extras in. I'm thinking we don't want to do this until things cool off a bit in the valley. I'll stay on it and let you know.

S.C.

jslugman

Quote from: Joe Copalman on September 08, 2011, 04:03:38 PM
*cough*SIMULATOR*cough*

Too bad O'Rear isn't going to be available.  He could educate you on the finer points of attracting IR missiles and how to fly at -20ft. AGL.

Everybody's good at something.  :P
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"